Chapter 7: Punishment Undetermined

Louis sat idly next to Alexander on the smaller couch. Glad that the small one had finally run out of steam from laughing himself mad. He would make note that any doughboys consumed in the future should be baked separately and not mixed in with cannabis.

Louis would make absolute sure of that.

As fun as it were watching Harry snore for the past few turns of the ship's hour glass; he dares not think anything more so entertaining than Alexander bursting out randomly with loud laughter. A few time lapses of that most certainly pushed some sort of limit; though the first mate knew not who's. His or Eboninea's.

His captain left, right after issuing orders to her first in command; so, he had a distinct sense it was his nerves that needed a break.

Hell, Louis could only have wished to be that merry, but given recent circumstances his soul felt a deep sadness he could not let go of and his mood was less tolerable than it was earlier.

However; he knew not to take out anger on an innocent child or sleeping prisoner. So, he sat quietly, reflecting on the loss of his friend and his life before The Tenerife Sea.

A soft knock sounded suddenly from the door, his neck snapping to its wooden structured frame with a frown.

It couldn't have been Eboninea. She was on deck watching the crew work; and highly unlikely she would knock in the first place, considering it was her cabin.

It was also too dainty to belong to any of his crew; although Liam did hurt his hand earlier. Still, Louis finally opened his mouth; beckoning the person in.

Albeit sarcastically.

"Lose all hope for he who enter." The first mate called with mock enthusiasm, watching the door open with surprise gentleness.

He saw Ana come passed the threshold, balancing a large tray on her head as she did so. It looked heavy and that prompted the first mate unto his feet quickly.

Louis was up in a flash; his hands grasping the weighted silver so that the girl's hands were free to close the door. He set the tray down on the table.

"I beg thee pardon, sir Tominson. Captain Isolde sent for me," Ana announced, her eyes observing Louis' worn face. "She had Liam and a few other pirates cook some food. A few of the crew had swooned, due to lack of eating; so, she ordered me here to see that you all were properly nourished." She continued, her voice soft and velvet like a delicate flower petal.

Louis nodded once, his eyes brimming red with emotion. He did not deserve nourishment. He would see that Alexander and Harry got the spoils. It was technically their food that was stolen anyhow. He wasn't much into eating; especially when his sorrow was so deep.

"Thank you." Louis replied, observing Ana's eyes. They were full of concern; especially when she laid eyes on Harry.

"M-may I?" She stuttered slightly, gesturing toward her employer.

Louis followed her gaze and nodded brisk.

"Of course you can luvvy. I would never deny you your right to a loved one. I know that well and would sooner throw myself into the sea than bestow that cruelty onto those least deserving," Louis vowed, motioning her over to the couches. "Come. You may need ta help. Officer Styles has had a bad reaction ta some cannabis. Your apothecary took care of what was ailing him; but I'm afraid he will need a woman's touch."

Ana approached cautiously, kneeling down beside the first officer fragilely. She took her hand, moving a few strands of hair from his face and studied his sleeping form.

Louis watched her curiously, his head cocked in wonderment.

He had never been witnessing to a lady's touch. Not if you consider Eboninea when she was feeling particular and those were always few and far between. Her treatment toward Louis since she saw him sobbing beside his dead friend had been anything but compassionate.