27

I needed another plan, but first, I had to understand Qi Mo better. The best way to get closer to him was to invite him for a drink. That day, we went to a nearby town.

Located in the plains, it was a granary for miles around, known for good harvests. The rice wine here was also famously rich and fragrant.

I spent a few copper coins and bought two bowls of fine wine.

Qi Mo sat down and raised an eyebrow, "Just one bowl for your brother? Aren't you being a bit stingy?" I defended myself, "We should taste a little from each place, who knows, the next one might be even better." Qi Mo didn't object.

The tavern's flag fluttered lazily in the afternoon breeze. After some idle chatter, I tentatively asked:

"What does it feel like to lose control, brother? Do you know?"

Qi Mo tossed some roasted broad beans from the waiter into his mouth, "Who knows? But..."

He smiled casually, "Might be worth a try. In the path of cultivation, if you don't lose control at least once, can you really say you've achieved perfection?"

Me: "..."

I couldn't tell if he was joking or serious.

I could only look through the wooden table at the parasite thriving in his dantian, its tentacles reaching into his heart, brain, and skull... definitely not dead.

After a moment of silence, I said, "Thanks for last time with the grappling hook." Qi Mo replied, "You have more to thank me for than that."

I paused, taken aback, but Qi Mo just finished his wine, turned the bowl upside down, and beckoned, "Come on, let's go to the next place."

That day, Qi Mo took me to drink up and down the street. I kept up with him until the end.

I ended up leaning against a door frame, vomiting on the street.

He seemed unfazed, arms crossed, teasing me:

"Hey, Xiao Tong, your tolerance is even worse than Xuan Yan's, isn't that embarrassing?" I rinsed my mouth with water passed by the waiter, wiped my mouth with the back of my hand:

"No shame in that. You and Sister entered the sect at the same time, and she's still stronger than you." Seeing me recover, Qi Mo walked me towards the outskirts of the wine street, humming;

"She cheated, dual curved blades, inherently overpowered. Even combined with Senior Brother Wei Min, we can't beat her." We reached a rouge shop at the corner of the street.

As the evening approached and the shopkeeper was about to close, she brightened up seeing Qi Mo: "Young Master here to buy makeup again? We've got new products, want to take a look?"

I looked at Qi Mo, astonished.

Seems he really knows how to enjoy life. Must have sweet-talked many girls with rouge and powder.

"Not this time, the last batch wasn't waterproof. She messed up her makeup and scolded me." Qi Mo sighed, "Get me a hairpin instead." Me: "Huh...?"

I realized: "For Sister?"

"Who else?" Qi Mo carefully selected, "You think someone as rough as her would manage her appearance on her own?" Me: "..."

I silently watched him fuss over the style and color, finally settling on a peach wood hairpin, and paying for it.

Before leaving, Qi Mo seemed to remember something. He casually asked, "How's the kid?"

The shopkeeper clapped her hands, "Oh my, I was so busy I forgot to bring him out for Young Master. Just a moment!" She hurried back and soon returned with a one-year-old child.

The child was adorable, with grape-like big eyes, gnawing on his hand and curiously looking at me.

I blurted out, "...Brother, you and Sister even have a child?"