Chapter 8

Family.

One would think after living eighteen years without knowing who my real parents were- whether they were even alive- that I would be ecstatic to meet them.

One would also think that the idea of meeting parents who had once abandoned me would invoke bitterness or aversion.

But I couldn't feel any of those emotions. The idea of finally meeting them seemed so... unreal. I just couldn't process it.

Ezra's arm came around my shoulders as he asked, "why now?"

"Olin had instructed me to bring Orla to them as soon as the Lock breaks," Vlad replied.

"So you've been in contact with him?" Wren inquired with a scowl.

"No, the last time I had seen them was shortly before we left Orla in the orphanage."

"It doesn't make sense," I said through the link. "How could he have known you would meet me? How would he have known I'd meet Ezra? I mean, if I'd decided to go to another university..."

There was a knot in my stomach at the simple thought of not meeting Ezra. Despite everything I'd been through, I wouldn't change a thing if it meant having Ezra by my side.

Vlad smiled. He looked at me, but his eyes were distant. "You would have eventually found your way into our world, Orla," he said with such conviction. "One way or another."

"So you know where they are?" Zyron asked.

"I don't know where they are, but I know how to get there," Vlad answered.

What? That didn't make any sense.

"Then why didn't you contact him all these years if you know how to reach him?" Sam asked.

"Because, I can't. I would need Orla to be able to reach them."

Wren growled, an impatient scowl on her face. "You are being awfully cryptic and I'm two seconds away from whacking you on the head."

Vlad's eyes were amused. "Apologies, your majesty."

Wren flipped him off.

"Just explain before she beats your ass, Vlad," Hale said.

"Before Olin and I parted ways, he had made a teleportation circle in a place only I know of. The teleportation circle will take us to them."

"Teleportation circle?" Ezra asked, clearly as confused as I was, for once.

"It's a means of teleportation, it can teleport several people at the same time," Hale explained, leaning forward. "It's superior magic, much like the Lock. Only mentioned in old books of magic."

"Have you ever tried it?" Sam asked.

Hale shook his head. "The hieroglyphs are complicated, and even if I did have the correct symbols, it would need a shitload of magic to even activate, let alone teleport a person. My father told me about some idiots who tried to do it once, and they ended up in bits and pieces. The spell teleported only parts of their bodies."

My eyes widened. Ezra looked at Vlad. "Are you sure that circle is safe?"

"It is. Trust me. You're seeing for yourself how powerful Orla is. Olin is more powerful, with a great mastery of magic and spells. The circle is safe."

"Olin wouldn't put his daughter in danger, Ezra," Zyron said.

Let's hope they were right. I liked my limbs right where they were, thank you very much.