Chapter 20

"You really don't want to go, do you?" Mom asked, giving me a knowing look.

I made a face. Wren chuckled, the sound echoing in the dark woods around us. We were on the way to Clementine and Jared's house. Wren thought that Mom should come along in order to make those 'old farts sweat themselves'. Her words, not mine.

Dad and Orton stayed back with Zyron, Vlad and Hale in the pack house. Apparently, they were going to make several calls to the big packs in the area. Since we were now living in the open, all supernaturals nearby would slowly start to feel the magic shift and Zyron didn't want any spooked wolves on his borders.

Ashley snorted next to me. "They were such assholes to her the last time she was here. Imagine being introduced to your mate's ex fiancé."

Mom raised her eyebrows and looked at Ezra. "Fiancé?"

"Ex-fiancé," Ezra grumbled. "She's now mated to Hayden. You've met her."

"Oh, Meredith? That sweet girl?" Mom asked with a frown. "I thought all supernaturals had mates. Why would you even have a fiancé?"

"Some supernaturals have a stick up their asses," Wren said. "They choose their mates according to power and bloodlines. Zyron's parents had that same mindset at one point. Hence why they were less than thrilled to have Orla, a human, mated to Ezra."

Mom hummed, looking ahead. Her eyes glowed and her voice turned cold. "I see. I can't wait to meet them."

Haley and Ashley snickered. "I bet Clementine will spill some tea tonight. Quite literally," Haley said.

"I'll take that bet," Ashley replied.

"You wouldn't be upset if I had a bit of revenge, would you, Wren?"

Wren snorted. "Oh, it would be my absolute pleasure, Vanessa. Please, don't hold back."

The two women shared a mischievous look. We broke through the trees and the monstrosity of the house came into sight. Ugh. I'd forgotten just how obnoxious it was.

Ezra chuckled, squeezing me to him. "I know. It keeps getting uglier every time I see it."

Mom cleared her throat. "Well, everyone has their own taste."

The stairs to the porch didn't have a ramp for Wren's wheelchair. The fact that they didn't bother to make their house accessible to Wren made me like them even less.

Ezra picked up Wren and her chair as if they weighed nothing and hopped up the steps.

"Let's see if you say the same thing after you see the inside," Wren said, knocking on the door.

"It's worse?" Mom whispered as we stood in front of the double doors. They opened before Wren could reply.

A butler. Again. He bowed and led us inside. Mom's eyes bugged out as we walked in. She pursed her lips, but her dimples peeked out. The gilded walls, the statues, the golden staircase railings and glimmering marble veined in thick gold. This house felt so out of place in the pack.

"Ugh, I feel like I need shades every time I come here," Haley grumbled under her breath, squinting her eyes. Ashley snorted.

"It's a poor rendition of a renaissance castle," Wren said out loud. Mom raised an amused brow. Wren waved her off. "I'm allowed to be mean to them after what they'd put me and Zyron through. So are you, Orla, so don't hold back."

"Orla doesn't know how to be mean," Haley said with a teasing smile.

I frowned. "Thank you. But I can be mean sometimes, you know."