Chapter 9

"Orla!"

Two hands held me in place. I startled, blinking my dry eyes. Ezra was holding me in his arms, his face confused and our bond thrumming with concern. Vlad and Sam stood close by, looking worried as well.

"What?" I asked, my heart beating fast for some reason.

"You blanked out for a moment there," Ezra said. "You were walking to the circle even with Vlad's warning."

"Warning? What warning?" I hadn't heard anything.

"He told you not to get inside the circle," Ezra slowly said. "Didn't you hear him?"

"No."

"Alright, no harm done," Vlad said.

I glanced back at the circle. The white lines no longer glowed. My eyes were drawn to it, though. It was calling out to me; to my magic.

Ezra's arms tightened around me. I shook my head. "Sorry, it draws me in."

"I know. I can feel it. Your magic is almost reaching out to it."

"Alright, listen up, Ezra," Vlad said, giving Ezra a firm look. "The circle will take us to them. But you will need to control your wolf. The reason I didn't want to bring you along is because I know how sensitive your wolf is right after marking her. You need to keep it together."

Ezra frowned. "I know that already."

"No, you really don't," Vlad said. "Orla is your mate, so you're not alarmed by her power. But Olin is... well, let's just say he's much more powerful. Your wolf will certainly be on edge when meeting him for the first time. It's his instinct, after all, to be wary of stronger beings. Especially with your mate around."

Ezra slowly nodded. "Okay. I'll try to stay calm."

Vlad looked at me. "Make sure you keep your mate beside you. If Olin takes a swing at him, no one will be able to stop him."

My eyes widened. I held onto Ezra. My stomach tightened. What if something happened?

Ezra scowled. "We'll be fine. Stop scaring her."

Vlad sighed and shook his head. "Right. Sam, stay with Hale until he gets his energy back. We'll still have mind-link. But if anything happens, you have my number. Let's hope there's reception wherever they are."

"Got it," Sam said, waving us off and stepping back. "Hale will be up anytime now. Beat it."

Vlad, Ezra and I turned to the circle.

"How is this going to work?" I asked.

"It'll just do." Vlad smiled, holding his hand out to me. "As soon as you're inside, the magic will do all the work. Just hold on to us. You don't want to lose us along the way."

I gulped and clutched Vlad and Ezra's hands tightly. I was ashamed to admit that my hold on Ezra was tighter than my hold on Vlad.

"If you walk in first, the circle will snap to your magic and you'll be gone before we even step foot in," Vlad explained. "So Ezra and I will walk in first."

The white line of the circle glowed as I stopped right next to it. Ezra and Vlad stepped in, still holding my hands. Vlad nodded, and I walked in.

My magic flared. A thousand suns streaming through my veins. Heat seared every inch of my body. It lasted for a fraction of a second, so short I was almost imagining it. Then the circle's lines spiked upward, glowing like a white aurora borealis.

My magic reached out to it, and the circle clamped on it. And then everything disappeared beyond a curtain of white that blinded my eyes. I held tightly onto the two men, my hair flapping in crackling wind, my head swimming from the whirlwind around me.