Chapter 17

The wave of dizziness lasted for several moments.

Wind whipped my hair around, my hands tight around Ezra's and Mom's. All too soon, it ended.

Growls and gasps filled my ears before I could get my bearings about me. I blinked my eyes open and had to stifle my own gasp.

Now that my magic was completely unlocked, everyone felt so different. Haley, Ashley, Zach, Sam, Hale, Wren, Zyron. All their magic and power pressed against my senses. And their distinct auras which, even though I had never felt before, I somehow recognized.

Zyron's aura was so much like Ezra's it would be almost difficult to tell them apart if not for the faint hint of my magic on Ezra's.

We were in our cabin's living room. The French doors and windows spilled muted sunlight inside. Zyron stood in a crouch in front of Wren's wheelchair, his usually dark eyes so bright they almost looked yellow. Next to him, Zach stood slightly in front of Ashley, their wide eyes set on Dad. Hale and Haley were frozen on the couch, their eyes swirling with glowing amber. I could feel their magic, so similar yet different, held at their fingertips.

Sam lounged in the beanbag, his brows raised high above pale eyes trained on my father. He blinked and switched his gaze to Orton then to Mom.

You could hear a pin drop. Faint growls still emanated off of Zach and Zyron. The air crackled with the magic of so many powerful supernaturals on edge. The amount of power radiating off of Zyron was a physical force against my ears. My eyes watered from the sheer pressure of it. The low coffee table in front of him cracked.

Mom's hold on my hand turned so tight my fingers groaned.

"Ta-daaa!"

We all looked at Sam. Breaking the brittle silence, he grinned and shrugged, wiggling more comfortably in the beanbag. "What? I thought I should say something."

My shoulders slumped. I chuckled and shook my head. Sam.

Mom, Dad and Orton were still uncertain, tense. Ezra cleared his throat and stepped forward, breaking the frozen spell. Zyron's power was sucked back in. I blinked, relieved I could draw a breath easily again.

Wow, so much power. No wonder he was the king.

"Oh, move it, Zyron!" Wren said, trying to roll her chair past her growling mate. He was still on edge. Considering his mate had been unconscious for the better part of a decade, she was still confined to a wheelchair, and he was a werewolf alpha, his reaction was understandable.

Zyron glanced at Wren and growled, blocking her way. Wren growled back, her green eyes flashing. "Did you just growl at me?"

They stared at each other for several tense moments, before Zyron's growls died down and he straightened, closing his eyes tightly. Wren rolled her chair next to him and smiled at us.

"Excuse him. I've been unwell for a long time. And if you should know one thing about alpha wolves, it's that they'e overbearingly protective."

Mom's hold on my hand eased. She smiled tentatively at Wren. "We understand. Thank you for having us."

"Oh, you're very welcome! This is your home," Wren said. She looked at me and opened her arms. "Orla, sweetie, come here. I missed you so much."

I smiled and walked into her hug. It was just as I remembered, warm and firm and so motherly. She kissed my cheek and let go.

"Women are definitely more diplomatic," Sam said, nodding to himself.

"Shut up, Sam," Vlad said. He greeting Hale with a hug and a slap on the back.