Chapter 10

"Where's Ezra?"

I glanced around. He and Vlad weren't in the cabin. I hadn't even realized when they left.

Vanessa must've noticed the panicked tone in my voice. She squeezed my hand and smiled, her eyes scanning my features like I was a miracle. "They're just outside. Don't worry."

"Oh. Okay." I focused on the bond. I could still feel him.

"Olin, why don't you get them?" Vanessa stood up. "I'll fix you guys something to eat after all."

Olin straightened, pressing a kiss to my forehead before walking out of the cabin. Orton clasped his hands together. "You're in college now?"

I nodded, looking at him. My brother. I had a brother. His hair was a shade lighter than mine and Olin. But his features were all our father's. His voice, too. It was deep and low. There was this calming trait to it.

"How old are you?" I asked.

"Twenty three," he replied. So he was about five years older. I wonder what our relationship was like before they had to let me go.

Vlad, Olin and Ezra appeared through the doorway. Ezra resumed his earlier spot next to me, and his familiar warmth settled my magic.

"So you're two years older than Ezra," I told Orton.

"Mhm." Orton glanced at Ezra. The two shared a curt nod before Orton looked away, his jaw ticking.

I frowned. Ezra patted my knee. "Remember what I told you about Zariah? He just needs to beat me around a little and he'll mellow out."

"Oh." I bit my lip to keep from smiling. Ezra got my mug from the coffee table and gave it to me.

"Yeah. Oh. I have a feeling I'm going to have one hell of a time with your father and brother." Ezra's voice was thick with sarcasm.

I took a sip from my drink to hide my grin. But Ezra could feel my amusement. He growled low.

Orton glanced at him sharply, surprised.

"Never heard a wolf growl, Orton?" Vlad asked, joining us in the living room.

Orton scowled. "Not really."

"Better get used to it," Vlad said.

My heart swelled at the thought of being with Ezra and my family, with how loved I felt. I still didn't know the entire story. Still, I felt blessed.

I downed the lukewarm hot chocolate in a few sips and put the glass away. Vanessa and Olin worked quietly in the kitchen. Seconds later, Olin walked over with a plate of sandwiches.

"So Ezra. You're in college, too?" Olin asked.

"Yes, sophomore."

"How old are you exactly?"

"Twenty one. Most wolves go through pack training after high school before going to college," Ezra explained.

"I see." Olin put the plate on the coffee table. My mouth watered at the sight of the simple turkey and lettuce sandwich. There was some sauce in it. It looked very juicy.

Ezra picked one and gave it to me. I bit into it. Mhm. I was right. It was scrumptious. Ezra, too, reached for one.

"So where are we exactly?" Vlad asked.

"New Zealand," Olin replied.

His and Orton's gaze were on Ezra as he handed me another sandwich right as I finished the first. I didn't say no.