summer camp for orphans

Waking up in a different bed brings an uncomfortable sensation

The first time Bronte woke up, her head was pounding and she felt sticky and cold.

She looked at her surroundings, and saw a raven haired boy laying in a bed next to her. As much as she wanted to go over to him, she heard footsteps in the opposite direction.

The girl with blonde braids was back, rushing to her side. "What will happen at the summer solstice?" she sputtered out.

Bronte furrowed her brows not knowing what she was talking about. "What?" she asked.

"What was stolen? We only have a few–"

Before she could continue anymore, Bronte fell back asleep.

The next time she woke up, there was a blonde curly haired boy leaning against the doorframe. Bronte squinted, wanting to get a closer look, feeling like she should know him.

He noticed her looking, but didn't move. The boy smirked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Long time no see," he said, but Bronte could barely make it out.

Long time?

Was she supposed to know him?

Bronte was going to ask him what he meant, but she passed out again.

When the blonde woke up for good, Cooper was sitting at her bedside, looking in her duffel bag. She squirmed, groaning as she moved. Cooper looked up, immediately putting the bag on the floor.

"You're awake!" he exclaimed.

Bronte nodded, slowly sitting up. Her back burned, like it was being lit on fire. She winced as she went to touch it, making Cooper's eyes widen.

"Oh! I forgot the nectar, I'll be right back," he said, running out of the room.

Bronte stared as he left, not knowing how he was so calm about all of this. It seemed so normal for him, yet she was more confused as ever.

She turned to look at the boy laying in the bed next to her. Percy laid there, gripping onto the covers tightly, and a little bit of drool falling out of his mouth. Bronte couldn't decide if he was having a dream or a nightmare. She picked herself up, and walked over to his bed, gently placing a hand over his.

She didn't know what she did, but Percy's once knitted brows relaxed. His grip on the covers loosened and he let out a small breath.

Bronte smiled at him, knowing that he had been through a lot. He was brave, and she didn't know if it was for his mom or for his friends. Either way, she was proud of him. She most certainly couldn't do what he was doing by herself.

Cooper walked back in a few moments later, but with another boy.

Bronte turned to look, only to see her other friend, Grover Underwood.