Chapter 15 - They're Here

Katya's POV:

Teresa is talking to me. Like, casually. She has gone out of her way to speak to me about something other than work. All I can do is stare at her. I was under the impression we were not on speaking terms after I exploded at her in the lab. But, here she is, as content as a lamb in a field.

"How's Fluffles?" She asks, sitting at my dining table. When she knocked on my door, I felt I had to let her in.

I look at her, confused. 'How does she know about him?' I haven't mentioned him around her, I'm sure of it. "Um, yeah, he's good. He's asleep on my bed," I say and jab a thumb over my shoulder towards my bedroom door.

Teresa smiles warmly. "Aw. Does he still growl at you when you try to move him?"

"Yeah...he does. I'm sorry, how do you know all this?" She's starting to freak me out. Maybe letting her in wasn't a good idea after all.

"I've already told you. The doctors gave me my memories back. Not just some of them, but ALL of them." She opens her arms to show how much 'all' is. She keeps smiling at me, but this time it isn't warm. It's sad. She quickly changes the subject back. "Did he travel okay? I know the Berg must have been scary for him."

I can't help but laugh. She's really trying. She may be totally nuts, but she was once my best friend, less than a year ago, and I could not have asked for anyone better. I walk over and sit across from her at the dining table. "Oh, no. He hated it."

I give her the full run-down of my cat's big tantrum about being taken away from home. We had to find a cat carrier to lock him in. I felt sorry for Fluffles, but I couldn't leave him there. He's like my other half, even though he's a total pain in the butt. Teresa laughs at the shenanigans he got up to during the flight, and for once, I feel like we have a real chance of fixing this friendship. She isn't all bad.

After an hour or two, Teresa and I are still talking. It was good to catch up like this. I don't talk to many people. If I do, it's only ever about work. This is a welcome change to my mundane life.

"So...I noticed you and that boy Aris hanging out a lot before the Right Arm got him. You were holding each other when we first got out of the Maze. Is there something going on between the two of you?" Teresa waggles her eyebrows and props her elbows on the table to rest her chin in her hands.

I chuckle lightly. "No, not at all. Aris and I are just friends. He's helped me through a lot," I say, feeling my face grow hot. I have never thought of Aris that way. He's like a brother to me.

"Oh, okay. Well, I was just going to say I think it's good you've moved on."

I narrow my eyes at Teresa, unsure where she's going with this. "What are you talking about? Moved on from what?" I ask, leaning back in my chair and crossing my arms in front of my chest.

"From Newt. You were obsessed with him, even all the years after he left, and up until I went into the Maze. I'm glad that you've moved on. Though I didn't have any doubt that you would. It was only a silly childhood crush." Teresa smiles again, but there is nothing kind about it. It's closer to a sneer. I made a mistake letting my walls down around her. "It would have been so sad if you still liked him. Considering he doesn't remember you, you don't mean anything to him anymore."

I was taught that violence is never the answer, but damn, I wish it was. I thought that when Teresa got her memories back, she would like Thomas again. But apparently not. But why is she being so unnecessarily cruel? "Do you still like Thomas?" I raise my eyebrow at her, trying to gauge the type of person she is now. I thought I knew, but I definitely don't anymore.

Teresa lowers her arms, tilts her head back and laughs heartily. "Oh my god, no! He is such a child. And so was I when I liked him. I don't know what I ever saw in him. It was probably some pathetic wish that you and I would date Newt and Thomas and be best friend couples. Honestly, I think we each went for the wrong one. You are much better suited to Thomas."

Everything she says feels like a slap in the face. I have to rack my brain to think of something to say. After a few seconds of silence, I stare right into her eyes. "That's a round-about way of saying you want Newt." I try to muster a laugh, but it doesn't sound convincing. If she's trying to make a dig at me, I don't want her to know that it's working.

Teresa doesn't say anything. She just smiles shyly and looks down at the table. I hate her. I know I'm supposed to be fair and remember that you can't help who you love, but I don't want to waste such kindness on her.

"He was so sweet to me in the Maze, and when we were out in the Scorch, he always checked I was alright. I might want him, but he wants me too."

My eyes widen, and I jump up from my seat. The chair flies out from behind me and clatters to the floor. "You are delusional! He does not want you. He hates you for betraying them." My chest heaves, and I feel hot all over. I wanted to keep calm, but her words struck my last nerve. "I think it best you go now, Teresa," I say, not wanting to look at her. I hear her slide the chair back to stand up. She heads toward the door and opens it but makes no move to walk out.

"By the way, I saw Newt early this morning. He's in the city. And he didn't seem to hate me all that much." She leaves, closing the door behind her.

Newt's here?