Chapter 19 - Uncontrollable

Newt's POV:

We've been running around the WCKD building for almost an hour but haven't seen any sign of Ratman, Chancellor Paige, or Katya. I think Thomas is starting to give up hope, but I'm not leaving without Katya.

We head back to the entrance to complete another sweep when we run into Teresa. She's out of breath but tries to cover it up as best she can. Instead, she puts her hands on her hips and looks between the three of us.

"Where have you guys been? I've been looking everywhere for you," she says, throwing her arms in the air in exasperation.

"We've been looking for Katya. Chancellor Paige took her and Janson somewhere. We can't find them," Thomas replies, crossing his arms in front of his chest. "What happened to getting the 'thing' for Katya?"

Teresa raises an eyebrow at him. "It's on the bus with Brenda. I got there at the same time Gally did with the kids and the serum. When we realised that you guys still weren't there, Gally and I split up to search for you."

Minho steps forward, a scowl forming on his face. "She's been helping you?" He asks sceptically.

"Yeah. Teresa helped us find you and Katya," I say, standing next to him and putting my hand on his shoulder.

"But now we have to find Katya again. And if Chancellor Paige and Ratman have taken her, you can guarantee it won't be for anything good," Thomas mutters, clenching his fist at his side. "Do you have any idea where they would have gone?" He looks at Teresa expectantly, passing her the key card.

Teresa simply nods and takes the key card back. She walks past us, back into WCKD headquarters. Thomas and I follow her. It's as if we've become her sheep. Minho lags behind for a second, surely wondering if saving Katya is worth trusting Teresa over. I smile at him reassuringly, and he rolls his eyes in response. He jogs to catch up and chuckles as he reaches my side.

"This is crazy. I mean, I know the two of you are in love and can't live without each other, but geez, you have had NO luck getting her out of WCKD's clutches," Minho whispers, a playful smirk on his face.

"With Janson in the state he is in, I'm hoping it'll be easier this time. And I am not leaving without her," I reply, and come under another coughing fit. I'm getting worse. I can feel it. I feel crazy. I'll have to leave after we get Katya out of WCKD and to the Safe Haven. They won't let me stay there. Even if I get the serum, it will only fix the problem for a short time, unlike Brenda. She was lucky, and the Flare hasn't returned for her yet. But it will. I'm sure of it.

Teresa guides us to a corridor that holds most of the laboratories and Chancellor Paige's office. We peer into each room as we pass, Thomas and my launchers at the ready. Towards the end of the corridor, Teresa comes across a door and pauses. I peer around her shoulder, and my heart stops. There's blood smeared on the door.

We file into the lab and huddle together as we take in the scene before us. Chancellor Paige is lying still on the floor, a pool of red around her head. "How do we know this is real?" Minho asks, crossing his arms in front of his chest. "She's done this before."

"Go over and find out." Thomas shoves Minho lightly. Minho hesitantly walks forward and squats down near Doctor Paige's head. He checks her pulse and moves her hair away from her face.

"Yeah, it's real. But that means there is someone in this building with a gun. And I'm guessing it's either your girlfriend, and we're going to be fine, or it's your Mr Father-in-Law, and we're completely shucked." Minho points at me as he stands back up and moves past everyone, back into the corridor. Teresa watches me, her brow furrowed, but she doesn't say anything.