Chapter 11.5 - The Plan

Newt's POV:

She's all I think about, and it's driving me crazy. I've lost Katya twice since we escaped the Maze. I'm scared that I won't ever see her again. Almost every night, I lie awake just thinking about Katya and how I am so willing to protect her when I don't even remember her. If there is ever another chance for her to come with us, I will make sure she does. Or I'll stay behind with her. I will not and cannot lose Katya again.

The leader of The Right Arm, Vince, has obtained inside information that WCKD is sending a train with delicate cargo through the scorch. A train full of subjects. He selected a group of us to act out his plan of attacking the train and saving as many subjects on board as we can. He said that the likelihood is that we'll only be able to get one carriage, but that's enough, especially if Minho is in that one carriage.

Thomas only cares about getting Minho back and has made it clear that he isn't there for the others. I feel like his priorities aren't in the right place. He needs to think of the big picture and the hundreds of kids WCKD has, not just one person, even if that person is the third piece of our trio.

Of course, I want Minho back, too. But I want to save as many people from WCKD's clutches, too. That's the long-term goal: to eradicate WCKD. To rescue one person, even if that person is basically my brother, isn't going to save the world. And I'm hoping that's what Vince is trying to do.

So, early tomorrow morning, we'll make our way into the scorch to save a carriage full of teenagers. I can't help but hope that maybe Katya is there, too. Maybe to supervise the subjects. I want to see her again. Ever since I first saw her in the WCKD compound, I haven't been able to get her out of my head. For as long as I can remember (which is only back to when I entered the Maze), I've felt like I've been missing something in my heart, and Katya fills that hole every time we're together.

It probably sounds crazy, but I don't think I can live happily without her. I believed Katya the moment she said we dated in the past. It just sounded right. I recognised her, my heart remembered her, and it yearned for her. It is still yearning for her. But I don't know how I can get her back. This is going to be difficult, and insanely painful.

- - -

It's nearly three in the morning, and the plan will play out in just a few hours, with every aspect set up to perfection. It's almost foolproof. Vince has organised jeeps and a Berg to use for this mission. Four of us, including myself and Thomas, will use welding gear to free the carriage from the rest of the train. If we're lucky enough, we should get the carriage off with enough time to escape from any guards onboard.