Learning By Learning

It was very early, Bilbo thought to himself as he tapped lightly at the door to Balin’s office. Probably the dwarf was not yet at work. Bilbo would have to come back later. Some other day, even.

Unfortunately, he had no such luck. Balin opened the door at once and welcomed Bilbo in with a smile. The old advisor was not even alone. Thorin and Ori were both with him, looking over some papers at Balin’s large writing desk.

“Oh,” Bilbo said, turning to go. “I’m interrupting. My apologies. Perhaps we can speak later.”

Stopping the little hobbit easily with one hand to his shoulder, Balin turned him around. “Some trouble you’re in then, lad?”

“No, no, not trouble. Not exactly. I just wanted your advice. Well, to run something past you, really and see what you thought of it. But obviously you’re advising the King right now, and that is much more important.”

“We will leave you,” Thorin said, drawing up to his full height with dignity and authority.

Bilbo sighed. “No. Please don’t, if you have a minute. I should like to know what you think as well.” And how angry you will be, the hobbit added silently. Really it was best to get it out of the way all at once.

“Very well,” the king said, looking at Bilbo impassively.

Rather than fumbling with words, Bilbo simply took the golden cauldron pin, with all of its diamonds, rubies, and emeralds, and pinned it to the front of his jacket. All three dwarves understood at once, judging from the way Ori immediately started swearing in Khuzdul.

“So perhaps I acted hastily and without full possession of the facts, especially since I was aware that the situation is a bit political, but can you tell me why it is such a bad thing that I should join Bombur’s guild?”

“It is no bad thing,” Thorin said. Smiling with a great deal of warmth, the king put a hand on Bilbo’s shoulder. “Allow me to congratulate you on your Mastery. I know little of cookery, but I know that you deserve it.”

“It is a terrible thing!” Ori cried. “That snake! That dragon! He knew that you were working with me in the library. That is as good as an apprenticeship, though you have not paid me. May his mustache wither and fall off! Now that you own land and are a Lord—which is as good as any dwarf and better than most—I should finally have been able to teach you proper runes.”

“Peace, Ori,” Balin said. “Bilbo can still study Khuzdul with you, and take Mastery with the Guild of Scribes should he desire it.”

“Second Mastery,” Ori said, as though it was another curse.

“Er,” Bilbo said. “I don’t quite—”

“Many dwarves take up other crafts once they have Mastered their first,” Balin explained. “A great warrior for instance,” he nodded to Thorin, “might become a Master Blacksmith as well, to better understand his weaponry. I myself have a Second Mastery with the Guild of Scribes, due to my study of political histories.”

“It’s not the same!” said Ori.

“Ori is distressed, because first loyalty goes to the First Mastery. If you should join other guilds to study other crafts, your first duty would still be to the Culinary Guild.”

“Hmm,” Bilbo said. “My first loyalty is to Thorin, though.” When he noticed how still this declaration made the others, especially the king, he quickly added, “I mean the Company. Erebor. All that.”

Balin smiled. “Aye. That is right enough. And it would do Ori well to remember his is the same, as he accuses Bombur of stealing you away.”

“This is a good thing,” Thorin said firmly. “I knew Bombur would not let his people tax you unduly, but now you will be able to do what you will with your mushrooms.”