An Inauspicious Introduction

“It was risky for her to barge so much of their equipment up the Celduin, but I cannot fault her for her eagerness,” Thorin said, sipping at his tea.

“No indeed,” Bilbo agreed, helping himself to another scone. “Is the River Running very dangerous in late spring? We are nearly in summer now. There cannot be much melting snow from the mountains.”

“Floods come with the rain in any season. Indeed, I have heard tell that a summer storm on the Sea of Rhun can make that river deadly all along its courses, though the people upon it will be much too far away to see the lightning or hear the thunder that heralds their doom.”

“Well that’s a cheery thought at breakfast time,” Bilbo chided.

Taking a conciliatory bite of his own scone, Thorin said, “The cheery thought is that they will arrive in at this side of the Long Lake by nightfall. Nearly two thousand of my people return home after their long and weary exile in the Ered Luin. I expect my sister and a few of the most eager will not rest patiently there, though they have been very responsible on the road thus far. Still, though she does not write so, she will likely press on to Dale tomorrow.”

“Can I ride out with you to meet her, or is it a family affair? I should not like to intrude.”

Looking curiously at Bilbo, Thorin tilted his head to one side. “I did not say I would ride out to meet her.”

“You have spent breakfast every day for the last two weeks recounting every step of your sister’s progress to me. Do you honestly intend to wait a full three days more for her to present herself in your throne room like a supplicant?”

Chuckling, Thorin turned back to his bacon. “That would be more of my stuffy dwarven nonsense, I take it?”

“That would be denying yourself a simple pleasure for no sensible reason.”

“Much like failing to share breakfast with your good self?”

“Exactly like that, I should say.”

“We ride out tomorrow morning, just the Company.” Only Thorin Oakenshield could manage to look that pleased with himself while putting a whole fried egg into his mouth. “I convinced Gloin and Bombur to wait and make a spectacle of it. They both wanted to leave days ago to meet their families.”

Laughing, Bilbo cried, “And you did not think to mention it in all this time!”

“I planned to ask you to join us tomorrow at breakfast.”

“So that I should have no notice at all?” That seemed strange to Bilbo. After all, he had no friends among the travellers. Why should plans for their arrival be kept a secret from him?

“So that you would not overthink what I now ask of you.” Thorin took a deep drink from his teacup and did not look at Bilbo. “The rest of us will go armed and armored in our best. Naturally you must outfit yourself as you feel comfortable doing, but I pray you would consider all that is in your possession, and only that it is in your possession. Any meaning or symbolism that could be attached to such items has long been washed away by blood and battle. I would never insist. I do not insist. I would not even mention the item. It is only that I promised Balin I would explain as much to you, in case you did not understand—”

“Thorin! I have never in my life heard you babble so. Of course I will wear my mithril shirt to meet your sister, if you wish it.”

Thorin’s blue eyes snapped up to meet Bilbo’s. Other than that, the dwarf was perfectly still. He did not seem to even breathe.

“That is what you are asking me to do, isn’t it?” Bilbo did not know why it should be so important to Thorin, though he suspected it had something to do with how shabby Bilbo’s own wardrobe was when compared with the rest of the company. While his thriving new business had allowed for the purchase of several well tailored new waistcoats, Bilbo certainly did not go about decked in gold and jewels as the others did.