The Wedding

Perhaps spilling gold all over the floor of the Hall of Kings had been incidental during the great fight with Smaug, but during the year Erebor had been settled, the fact had become a lauded feature. It was always everyone’s favorite place for a dance, and the natural choice for a big ceremony. Dressed for a wedding, it was absolutely incredible.

Colorful banners and tapestries swirled around the great stone columns, and even the enormous statues of kings from the past were dressed in bright silks for the occasion. All the dwarves of Erebor and many of the men from Dale were gathered wearing their finest clothes. Even a few elves of Mirkwood had come, and Bilbo thought he recognized their prince among the little band. The Company that had traveled so far together and seen the first blush of Kili and Tauriel’s love formed an honor guard for the happy couple. Once again Bilbo was dressed in mithril with Sting at his side, and this time he wore a crown of flowers colorful enough for any wedding.

Tauriel wore flowers, too, and much like Bilbo’s in their fashion. Her dress was sewn with emerald leaves wrought upon silver branches. Beads in her hair sparkled with rubies and sapphires in the shape of pansies and spring beauties. Upon her brow there rested a mithril circlet more subdued than Bilbo’s own, which crowned her gloriously in little white blossoms, like stars made of shimmering diamonds.

If anything, Kili was more colorful than his bride. His clothing was the deep blue of Durin’s folk, embroidered with diamonds and sapphires in a dwarvish pattern for good luck. He wore a circlet as well, of mithril and blue, and Bilbo thought he looked very princely in it. The rainbow of color was not obvious until one looked at his usually messy hair. His dark locks had been braided into submission very carefully, with beads of every precious stone to be found beneath the mountain neatly worked into every single crossing of hair.

Indeed, the young couple shone very sweetly together as they held hands and marched across the golden floor. Bilbo was proud to march with them, armed and armored in the dwarvish fashion, as they approached Kili’s family at the front of the hall.

Thorin stood there, with Dis to his left and Fili to his right. They, too, were dressed in their best. All of them wore ceremonial armor, shining in the light like gold with bright crowns of heavy jewels. Dis’s hair had been braided almost as elaborately as Kili’s, and with nearly as many gemstones. Fili had added a cape to his armor which seemed to change color whenever the light shifted, as though some clever dwarf had woven a rainbow into silk. Only Thorin appeared to be in his usual colors of gold, silver, and sapphires. Bilbo was rather guiltily aware that the king had dressed with more haste and less care than he might have in other circumstances. Still, he looked very well. They all looked quite spectacular, in point of fact.

Fili winked at his brother.

“Uncle,” Kili said after a nervous beat. “I bring before you the love of my heart, Tauriel of the Woodland Realm, and I tell you now that all that I have is hers. My body, my honor, and my treasure are hers. I would give her my family as well. Will you welcome her, or must we go from your halls and find another place to be together?”

Turning regally to the bride, the king asked, “Is this your wish also, Tauriel of the Woodland Realm? To become a member of my house and take a place in my line?”

The elf’s voice rang out clearly, and without hesitation. “I come before you with the love of my heart, Kili of the Lonely Mountain, and I tell you now that all that is his, I share. His perils, his triumphs, and his burdens, I will bear as well. I would join our families together. If you will not welcome me, then I will go with him alone to begin anew a family of our own.”

“Then I welcome you, Tauriel, as my nephew’s wife. As you require, so shall I provide. Shelter from evil, help in need, and advice when you falter. From this moment onward, you are of Durin’s Folk, bear yourself with honor.”