Awakening

On the trip back to the mountain from Dale, Bilbo rode with Thorin on his war goat. He was too weak to ride alone, and he was certainly in no shape for the long walk. A great black war goat would not have been a hobbit’s first choice for transportation, but with Thorin at the reins, it was not so bad. Indeed, in other circumstances, it would have been a downright inspiring position. Seated with Thorin flush against his back, those strong arms on either side of him holding the reins, Bilbo’s tired mind whirled with possibilities. Unfortunately, the hobbit was too weak from his poisoning to truly enjoy it. Snuggling back against Thorin’s chest, he shut his eyes for a few minutes, trusting the king to see them home safely.

When he woke, it was to unfamiliar surroundings. It took him a long moment to realize that he was in Erebor, not riding with Thorin. Since he could still smell the rich incense that trailed the king like music, Thorin could not be far. Yet Bilbo did not know where he was. The comfortable bed was much larger than Bilbo’s own, with smooth silk sheets instead of simple linen. Looking up, the hobbit saw elaborate geometric patterns of gold laid in the stone of the ceiling. Looking left, he saw space enough in the bed for another person, though Bilbo was quite alone. On his right, however, was a piping hot cup of ginger tea sitting on the night stand. That was very welcome, for his stomach was still a little queasy.

Stretching a bit, Bilbo sat up and helped himself to the tea. It was delicious, and he allowed himself to breathe deeply as he drank, gathering his strength. Then he set the cup and saucer aside, and went to find someone to scold for letting him sleep.

He did not have to go far. The bedroom opened out onto Thorin’s sitting room. The king was there, staring at the mosaic which depicted the death of Smaug and the Battle of the Five Armies. It really was a beautiful piece of work, showing as it did the king slaying Azog with Fili and Kili fighting by his side. All of the members of the company were immortalized, and even Bard was there shooting down the dragon. Yet it was to the hobbit holding the Arkenstone amidst this chaos that the king’s eyes seemed to be drawn. Watching Thorin stare at Bilbo’s face on the wall quite obliterated any desire the hobbit had to lecture the dwarf. He looked almost lost, far younger than his two hundred years could count, and so very alone. Depositing himself in the king’s lap seemed like a good way for the hobbit to announce his presence.

It did make Thorin smile. Wrapping his arms around Bilbo, the king kissed him gently and held him close. “There is more tea in the fire if it would sooth you,” Thorin said softly. “Oin said it would help.”

“In a minute,” Bilbo said. “I am quite comfortable here, though I shall not forgive you if I have missed the wedding.”

“Peace.” Thorin chuckled. “We have an hour yet until the appointed time. Dis and Fili have agreed to see to the other festivities in my absence, but only the King can join a new member to the House of Durin. The wedding cannot happen without me, so you need not fear missing it.”

“Oh good.” Bilbo tucked his head a little more comfortably into the curve of Thorin’s neck. “I was rather surprised to wake up in your bed. You know among my people it is considered polite to ask before taking someone to bed.”

Humming in gentle agreement, Thorin said, “Exactly as it is among dwarves, no doubt. But I could not shake the fear that some trap might yet be hidden in your room. Pray, forgive me.”

Bilbo found that he could not quite manage to fear poison or assassination plots while seated so very comfortably in Thorin’s lap. He could, however, easily forgive the king for anything in the world. “Of course. I only said that you ought to ask, not that I have any objections to going to bed with you.”

The dwarf’s breath hitched in a rather gratifying way. “Then I ask you to come to bed with me.”

“Oh hush!” Bilbo laughed a little and pushed playfully at Thorin’s shoulder. “I am in no shape for such games. I apologize if I got your hopes up with my phrasing, but I need to have another cup of tea and clean up a bit for the wedding. We do not have time for anything else.”