Those That Carry On

Upon returning to Erebor, Bilbo and Dis were greeted with fanfare and celebration the likes of which could hardly be believed. Feasting, music, and elaborate displays of welcome could be found everywhere. Dis was hailed by all as the one who had led the exiles in the Blue Mountains during Thorin’s long absence. Meanwhile, Bilbo was very happily welcomed home by all of his friends.

Apparently Dis had not been exaggerating how much they worried for him. Everyone crowded around him at dinner to ask him silly questions and tease him for his earlier confusion. There were any number of jokes about soft headed hobbits, and every single member of the Company found a reason over the course of the night to very gently press their foreheads to his own. Bilbo thought it was half display, that his friends were demonstrating the proper way to touch heads with a hobbit, but it was also clearly a heartfelt gesture.

Even better than all of the celebration was the chance to meet the families of his friends. Gloin’s wife was as beautiful as promised, and his son Gimli was just as clever as his father. Bombur’s numerous children were all delightful little dwarrow, and his wife was a plump, jolly woman who had a Mastery in the Artisan’s Guild with Bofur. Bilbo found a willing audience for his stories among the children and happily joined their little dances. What’s more, Nori’s wife Sani proved a delightful surprise. Sneaky as her husband, she tried to burgle from the Burglar and quite succeeded in taking his coin purse. After huffing indignantly, Bilbo paid her back by lifting a small broach from the front of her dress when her husband had her thoroughly distracted, and they became fast friends.

There could be no question that what Bilbo missed most of all during his week recuperating in Dale was breakfasting with Thorin, though, and he was pleased to resume the custom on his first morning back inside the mountain. If the conversation was a little stilted, Bilbo blamed it on Thorin’s concern for his injuries and did not think much of it.

“Dis spoke to me at length last night,” the king said, apparently paying very close attention to the amount and thickness of the butter he was spreading on his muffin.

“I’m glad,” Bilbo said. “She missed you all terribly while we were in Dale, only an hour away. I felt very guilty for keeping her to myself, but of course she would not hear a word about returning to the mountain while I was anything less than fully recovered.”

“No,” Thorin agreed, still buttering his muffin. “I imagine she would not as a matter of honor. She did mention that you spoke often while convalescing.”

“Oh yes. I don’t mean to say I’m not grateful. My head hurt far too much for reading, and I should have been bored to tears without her.”

“Yes.” Thorin was still spreading the butter on his muffin, though Bilbo did not see how it could possibly get any smoother than it was. Dwarven perfectionism was often quite beyond the hobbit’s sensibilities. “She mentioned in passing that the topic of courting gifts came up.”

“Indeed it did. Is it true that you made that lovely mithril ring she wears? It’s very beautiful.”

Finally putting his butter knife down, Thorin looked up at Bilbo to smile. “Vili designed his courting gift for Dis, as is proper.”

“Yes, she said you wouldn’t admit to it. Still I had no idea you could craft something so beautiful. I mean,” he added very quickly, “I knew you were a Master Smith. I just thought that meant you made swords and things. Not that the swords you make aren’t very beautiful, I’m sure. I—oh dear.”

If anything, Bilbo’s babbling only made Thorin’s smile broader. At least he did not seem overly offended. “I am glad she thought to tell you of our ways in this.” Thorin’s voice was warm and his eyes were very soft indeed. The return of his sister to their true home obviously made him happy, and that filled Bilbo’s heart with joy for them both.