Family Sick Day

Both of the twins had spiked a fever while at preschool the day before, and both Travis and Taylor had started feeling sick in the middle of the night. They had tried to go with their usual tag team approach and each took a kid to get up with during the night, but by 3am everyone was feeling like crap and they ended up just bringing everyone into the big bed in hopes of getting even a few hours of sleep.

They were planning to just have a relaxing day at home to let everyone rest and recover, so Taylor had turned off their alarms before they had gone back to bed. But when she jolted awake around 9am, startled by yet another coughing fit from Sophia, she was surprised to see sunlight streaming through the bedroom windows. After helping her daughter to catch her breath, offering her some small sips of water as she whimpered in discomfort, she grabbed her phone, noticing an email from the twins' daycare. She read it quickly before turning to Travis, waking him from his peaceful slumber.

"Trav? Honey, wake up," she urged, rocking his shoulder gently.

"Hmm?" he groaned, squinting his eyes open and trying to reorient himself after their rough night.

"The school just emailed. Both of their teachers have COVID. We should probably all take a test," she explained.

Twenty minutes later, the timer on Travis's phone went off and he made his way to the ensuite bathroom to check the tests.

"Fuck," Travis mumbled as he stared down at the tests, which all had two bold red lines.

He made his way back out to the bedroom, smiling at the sight of the twins curled up on either side of Taylor. They were always extra clingy when they got sick, which had been happening a lot in the months since they started attending preschool a few days a week.

"Looks like we all get to stay home for a few days," he laughed, triggering a coughing fit.

"Daddy no feel good too?" Henry asked.

"Yeah buddy, Daddy is sick too. We're all gonna spend a few days at home getting better, okay?" Travis explained.

"Oh. Otay. We watch Paw Patrol?" he asked.

"Paw Patrol! Paw Patrol!" Sophie echoed, cheering when she saw Taylor grab the remote.

"Just for a little while," she said, pulling up the show, "Mama needs to make a few calls, and then we can have some breakfast."

Two hours later, Taylor had talked with both her own doctor and the kids' pediatrician, and they had a plan in place. She was worried about Sophia, who had been diagnosed with severe asthma when she was three, but luckily the pediatrician gave her some guidance on how to maximize the effectiveness of her various inhalers and nebulizers, as well as a list of symptoms to watch out for.

While Taylor had been busy talking with the various doctors, Travis kept the kids busy, watching countless episodes of Paw Patrol and putting on a show with their stuffed animals. When Sophie had yet another coughing fit, he had to get her set up for a nebulizer treatment, which she fought as usual. The whole process freaked her out, between the loud noise and the sensation of the mask on her face. He felt relieved when it was over, both that he didn't have to keep upsetting her and that she was breathing a little easier.

The day went on slowly, spent cuddling in bed and watching movies. At some point, they got both kids to take a lukewarm bath, hoping to help bring their fevers down a bit. Taylor was exhausted by this point, so Travis helped her get settled in bed for a nap before taking the kids downstairs to play.

Three hours later, Taylor came downstairs to find all three of them asleep on the couch, a Disney movie playing softly in the background. Travis was snoring softly, his head leaning back against the couch, with Henry tucked at his side and Sophia's head resting in his lap. He had braided her hair at some point while Taylor was asleep, her usually unruly blonde curls tucked neatly out of her face. She quickly snapped a few pictures of them, wanting to save the memory.

While she certainly wished they weren't all sick, Taylor certainly wouldn't argue with a few quiet days at home as a family. The twins were growing up so fast, in just a few short months they would be turning four. She was planning to soak up this quality time while they were all able to be together, even if they were all feeling pretty lousy. The kids would only be little for so long, and she had every intention to make as many memories with them along the way, just like her mother had done. And if that meant trying to find a way to make a few family sick days more fun, she was going to do everything in her power to make these the best sick days ever. 

AN: Guess who got COVID at work again? FML.