Chapter 12: Why Can't Anything Be Easy?

It's been a week since the first task took place, and ever since, Percy has been a lot more relaxed and generally happy with life. After the task ended, they revealed the points, and to Percy's surprise, he was tied in first with forty points, just like Victor Krum. Cedric got second (or is it third?) With thirty-eight points, Percy couldn't remember what Fluer Delacour got, but it was something less than thirty-eight.

Ron had been really excited to explain to Percy what the other Champions had done. Krum had used a Conjunctivitus Curse but the dragon thrashed about in rage and damaged other eggs, which Krum lost points for. Fluer attempted to charm her dragon into a trance - which worked, but the dragon snored, and the resulting flame set her robe on fire. She probably lost points for that. Cedric transfigured a boulder into a Labrador dog, which diverted the attention of the dragon long enough to let him steal the egg. Smart.

Something Percy didn't expect was that the egg played a part in the second task. It would give a clue when opened, though Percy hadn't tried to figure it out yet, another reason to despair. (He always had a reason to despair. His life was just peachy) When he had entered the common room afterwards, after everyone had toned down the celebrations, he opened the egg - something very regrettable. All it emitted was a series of screeches and shrieks - what an amazing clue.

For now, though, Percy decided he was going to take a well-deserved break. He had gotten his friends back, won first place in the first task, and gained a little more respect. Those were some great achievements, and Percy really needed to relax for a while. Besides, the second task isn't until February Twenty-fourth. That's plenty of time... right?

"No!" Hermione exclaimed, startling Percy out of his train of thought. He was getting bored of this. "You need to start working out what the second task is, and start preparing for it!"

"Hermione, relax," Percy said, stretching. "I just faced a dragon - the Hungarian Horntail, no less - and survived to tell the tale. Gimme a break."

"Yeah, 'Mione. He needs a break," Ron added, earning a 'thank you' look from Percy.

"You can have your break after you figure out what the second task is," Hermione said, glaring at Ron. "Remember, if Hagrid hadn't tipped you off- "

"I would've been roadkill, I know!"

"I'm not saying you lack skill, but this world is all new to you," Hermione argued. "You need to use the time you have to your advantage."

"I will," Percy said. "After my break."

"Oh, and how long is that going to take, dare I ask?" Hermione inquired, crossing her arms.

"I don't know, whenever I feel like it."

"You're impossible," Hermione huffed, giving up.

Percy smiled triumphantly, but that smile instantly faded when he remembered what he was doing - homework. So much for a break.

-----

Transfiguration. It was pretty cool if you asked Percy...but why did it have to be so hard? It's nearly impossible to turn something into something else—well, maybe because you have to focus. Focus wasn't exactly a strength for Percy, being ADHD and everything (another thing he remembered). Still awesome, though.

Today, Professor McGonagall wrapped up the lesson way earlier than it was supposed to end. Hey, Percy wasn't complaining—it probably meant more free time.

Okay, so it wasn't more free time...actually, it would've been better if they'd just continued the lesson. It probably would've been easier than what he was just assigned to do.

She had called the rest of the Gryffindor (and Slytherin, for some reason) house to join, so apparently this was important. And probably horrible, with Percy's luck. They had moved to a bigger room Percy hadn't seen before, so he wondered what McGonagall was going to make them do.