8 | Working in Gastronomy Isn't Always Bad

ARTICLE TITLE: Working in Gastronomy Isn't Always Bad

DRAFTED TEXT: Who knew mopping and cleaning tables might be fun? Certainly not me until I was confronted with it. Though, I doubt it was the actual work that was fun, but more so the company I had while putting away used, dirty plates. And hey, if at the end of the day I get good free food, who am I to complain?

Bum Seok called a taxi from him and Si Eun again. It was starting to get dark by the time they arrived at the place Soo Ho knew. Y/n grabbed her backpack from the back compartment and gave Soo Ho's helmet back. Soo Ho stayed back for a moment to fix his mopped while Y/n, Si Eun and Bum Seok walked inside the small restaurant. Only one table was occupied and it was pretty quiet.

''It's on me, so don't worry,'' Bum Seok said, looking at Si Eun and Y/n.

''You don't actually have to pay, you know,'' Y/n said with her arms crossed. ''I'm sure Soo Ho was just joking.''

Bum Seok shrugged and gave a small smile. ''I don't mind. It's okay.''

I need to see this kid's house. Y/n looked back as the door opened and Soo Ho walked in, bowing as he did. ''I'm sorry I'm late.''

''Hey, you're late,'' the woman behind the counter said.

''Sorry,'' he said again as he walked up to her.

''Did you eat?'' she asked.

''Not yet,'' he told her. ''I'll eat later.''

''It must be hard for you.''

Soo Ho finally looked back at the three, noticing their confused expressions. ''I'm late for my part-time work because of you, so help out.''

''Are they your friends?'' the woman asked. Bum Seok and Y/n immediately bowed in respect and greeted her. Si Eun followed right after.

Y/n and Si Eun got to mopping first; the two and Bum Seok were still in their school uniforms, while Soo Ho had changed into his work clothes, an apron and all. ''Hey, mop it cleanly,'' Soo Ho called from the side as he chuckled at them while he wiped tables.

''I'll kick you, dumbass.'' Y/n didn't look at him, but she heard him laugh. How the fuck did I end up here? I could be at home right now, writing or studying or anything, not mopping floors.

As Y/n was putting the mop away after that, she noticed Soo Ho coming in carrying three boxes of beverages with no issues. Y/n's eyes widened. You know, if I'd gone home, I wouldn't have seen that. Si Eun walked in after him, struggling as he carried a single box. ''Hey, there's one more box.''

Feeling bad for Si Eun, Y/n moved to the door. ''I'll go get it.''

Soo Ho put the boxes down and looked back at her. ''Huh? No, they're heavy. Let Si Eun do it.''

Y/n looked at Si Eun, who was panting as he finally put the box down. She looked at Soo Ho again. ''I think I'll be fine.''

The box wasn't as heavy as it looked, so she quickly brought it inside. Soo Ho and Si Eun were next to the cooler as Soo Ho reloaded it with drinks. ''. . . I make deliveries around three days a week. I don't do it every day,'' Soo Ho told Si Eun as Y/n put the last box down next to them.

''Is it tiring?'' Si Eun asked.

Soo Ho was silent for a moment as he looked at Si Eun, then continued restocking. ''It's no big deal. I work at moving services on weekends.'' Si Eun was silent.

Y/n's eyes fell on a table that had just been freed, the dishes waiting to be put away. She moved to grab a platter, not wanting to intrude on their conversation any further. Despite that, she couldn't help but linger at Soo Ho's words. He really does work a lot. No wonder he's always tired.