21 | Daddy Issues Are Essential Part of Character Development

ARTICLE TITLE: Daddy Issues Are Essential Part of Character Development

DRAFTED TEXT: I don't understand why some parents decide they want to be parents years after they've had kids. (whywhywhywhywhywhywhy is he texting) (continue this later)

Her bedroom was rather cold that night as she sat on her desk chair, a dark pink blanket wrapped around her. Her legs were pulled up as her hand scribbled over her notebook, trying her best to get over a math problem. The house was oddly quiet despite everyone being home.

Her phone buzzed. Looking down, she noticed Soo Ho had sent her a picture. Upon opening the message, a picture of him and Si Eun popped up, the two sitting on his mopped with the helmets on. Following the picture were the words wish you were here.

Y/n smiled. Her fingers hovered over her keyboard as she typed quickly. Sorry. I'll see you tomorrow? We can call later, too. As she put her phone down, she noticed the single notification still remaining on her locked screen, one she hadn't dare open for the past hour.

She'd wanted to go out with Soo Ho tonight, but as soon as she'd received the message from her father — her real father — she wasn't able to move. She'd contemplated on what to do, if she should answer him, but she couldn't bring herself to. Thus she'd ended up doing her homework as a distraction.

She sighed and turned her phone over. Feeling thirsty, she stood up and walked out of her room, her headphones hanging around her neck now.

The house wasn't quiet at all anymore, it had been her headphones preventing her from hearing the loud movie playing in the living room. As she entered, she noticed her mother, step-father and siblings all sitting on the couch together, like a family, their eyes stuck on a cartoon movie playing on the screen.

Y/n swallowed. She took a step forward. "What are you guys watching?" she managed to get out, her hands in her zip up's pockets.

"Cars," Hyun Ho answered, though neither of the four turned to face them.

"Oh," Y/n managed to get out. "Why didn't you call me? You know I love that movie."

"Y/n, shh, this is the best part." Woo Min did turn, though only to place his finger in front of his lips to show her to be quiet.

Y/n's face fell. Her mother and step-father didn't turn to face her once. Licking her lips, she quickly returned back to her room, closing the door and leaning against it.

Right, she thought, it's not like I'm really part of my mother's new family.

Running a hand through her hair, she quickly walked up to her wardrobe and picked out a pair of jeans and Soo Ho's red sweater he'd given her a while ago. She sniffed as she dressed, willing herself not to let the tears fall.

She picked up her phone again, swiping away on the notification of her father's message to clear it off the screen. Then she quickly dialed Soo Ho's number, biting on her thumbnail as she waited for him to answer — she hoped he wasn't driving.

"Hey, cutie. What's up?" Soo Ho's voice made her shoulders relax just a little.

"Where are you? I can come out after all," she said as she picked up her wallet and walked out of her room, not sparing another glance at the living room and the family-bonding happening there.

"We just finished with the deliveries and we were gonna go grab something to drink. I think there's a place near your house, we can go there," Soo Ho explained over the phone. "Do you know it?"

"Yeah. I'll be there in five," she said as she put on her shoes and quickly walked out of the house, not caring if anyone stopped her — not that anyone would have. Not that anyone did.