i. visible jealousy

Guests had already begun to arrive

Guests had already begun to arrive. She could hear the chattering, clinks of champagne glasses and classical music echoing throughout the halls as she watched her pale complexion look back at her in the gold-lined mirror.

Estelle Corbin was attired and ready. Her heated curls were wrapped into a carefully formed bun, with the help of her mother due to its length, with jewels and matching charms threaded into hair strands. It was something she did for every event that her parents, Aldreda and Gabriele Corbin, hosted.

She looked like art. Her purple dress with a floral pattern sewn onto the chest topped with a lacy, thin black cardigan and corresponding gloves hugged her body which accentuated her curves. Her black jewelled necklace hung from her neck and matching earrings dangled from her ears. She glistened under the moonlight that was seeping from her bedroom window.

Estelle announced to herself that she was ready, With full blown confidence, she slowly descended from the manor's main hall stairs. Few glanced up at her as they were more fixated on the dancing couples corresponding to the music bellowing from the gramophones bewitched to play their songs heightened in sound.

The spacious room originally held the dining table but the furniture was moved to replicate a dance floor. Drinks were served from a tower and food provided by the house elves was distributed on a table for guests to help themselves.

Social gatherings weren't the light of Estelle's life. She had no interest in running her social battery out in under thirty minutes due to the number of attendees wanting to speak with such a wealthy and educated young woman. To most, that wasn't much of a surprise when coming from a powerful family with connections, and successful careers.

But the whole night required a mask full of a secretly tired smile, an achy body from high heels and a straight posture she didn't have. She wasn't social by any means and has tried to convince her parents several times, Aldreda and Gabriele Corbin, to grant her the freedom of a relaxing evening but has never been proven successful. Their excuse is always that it's one night a year. 'Okay, so?'

At the end of every summer, her parents hosted a gathering with champagne and classical music to celebrate. The tradition was passed through centuries from the original owners of their manor. High ministry workers, purebloods and people alike were invited and most typically got an invitation in return for coming the previous year.

Also used to celebrate the summer was their yearly trip to France and Italy to see any family they hadn't in the last few months. Summer was widely celebrated in their home. The ability to spend their time together without the lingering dread of school and work while also seeing family and friends. For Estelle, it's an excuse to wind down, avoid the looming presence of expectations and speak her mother tongue.

French was Estelle's first language and Italian her second. While her accent had slipped over the years and was more British than anything else, she still had the habit of pronouncing longer words a bit off. She never speaks French when away from her family except for Draco Malfoy, who is fluent in said language.