07 A Trilogy of Jealousy: The Shape of Jealousy

07 The Shape of Jealousy

Confusion washed over Kim Minji as she pushed open the door.

First, there were shoes scattered by the entrance that definitely didn't belong to her.

Then, an unfamiliar yet enticing aroma of freshly cooked food lingered in the air.

Baffled, she cautiously ventured deeper into her apartment, only to find a complete stranger comfortably seated on her sofa.

Yet, the stranger's eyes sparkled with recognition, suggesting a familiarity that Kim Minji couldn't quite place.

The stranger called out to someone in the kitchen, "Minji unnie is back!"

"What?"

From the kitchen emerged another figure, donned in gloves and holding a neatly rolled kimbap.

Kang Haerin.

Kang Haerin nodded and greeted her, "Hello."

Before Kim Minji could respond, a man appeared behind Kang Haerin, wielding a spatula.

"You're back!?"Kim Minjae said.

The presence of aprons, in both large and small sizes, was undeniable and impossible to overlook.

Kim Minji's already somber mood, burdened by the day's work, deepened just a shade further.

"What are you doing here?" Kim Minji inquired, raising an eyebrow at her brother.

"Dinner! Surprisingly, I had some free time today, and Haerin did too. So, I thought I'd invite her over. Oh, by the way, this is Haerin's little sister, Kang Haeun, a student at Yonsei University."

Haerin?

Kim Minji was taken aback.

When had they become so chummy? Wasn't it a formal "Miss Kang Haerin" the last time they met?

Kim Minji and Haeun exchanged greetings.

"I tried to reach out," Kim Minjae remarked, "even gave you a call, but you never picked up."

Kim Minji glanced at her phone and noticed several missed calls.

"I was in a meeting; I had it on silent," she replied casually, dropping her just-purchased items onto the sofa before heading towards the kitchen.

There was more than just an apron; brand-new kitchen utensils were scattered around, and ingredients were haphazardly strewn across the table.

Ever since her brother had started college, he hadn't cooked. However, today was different. Kim Minjae, Seoul's most eligible bachelor, had gone to great lengths to impress a woman.

Quite a sight!

"Are you filming a drama or something?" Kim Minji asked, her frown deepening at the unexpected sight.

"Don't you find men who cook charming?" Kim Minjae winked at her.

She shrugged, not particularly impressed. "Not at all."

Why bother with that? There are thousands of fine-dining restaurants in Seoul. Just give them a call, and everything will be ready.

"Because you never do relationships," Kim Minjae said casually.

"Yah, whatever."

Kim Minji rolled her eyes as she made her way out of the kitchen and encountered Haerin, who was still holding a plate of kimbap rolls.