Chapter Five

Sumner, Parker and Malcolm had left Farlen Forest to get onto the main road for travel, going east out of Carver. They pasted dragon and horse drawn carts, foot travelers, like themselves, and peddlers. One stopped and tried to sell them a dagger with jewels embedded in the golden hilt. Parker looked ready to buy it as he turned it over in his hands, but Sumner took it from him and shoved it back at the peddler, hurriedly pulling Parker away. Malcolm cast and apologetic glance at the old man and ran after them.

"But it looked so cool."Parker complained as Sumner dragged him away.

"It was suppose to; he was trying to swindle you. It was an obvious fake." Sumner replied.

"And how was it 'obvious'?" Parker quoted with his fingers. Sumner remained quiet. "Hah! See, there? It could have be the real deal and you made me miss it." Red seemed to chatter in agreement.

Malcolm wisely stayed out of their disagreement.

The trio walked along in relative silence, Parker occasionally cracking some kind of joke or so--called witty remark. Malcolm stopped once to help a woman who'd dropped her belonging. She had smiled kindly and thanked him.

"Ah, it was nothing, ma'am." He said, sheepishly, his cheeks hinted pink. Parker elbowed him in the ribs when Malcolm rejoined them.

"You're sucker, you know that?"

Malcolm glanced at him. "What's wrong with being a sucker?" He retorted. Parker burst out laughing.

"You just called yourself a sucker!"Malcolm blushed, ducking his head.

"Leave him alone, Parker." Sumner intervened. Parker sniggered, nudging Malcolm again. Malcolm rubbed his sore ribs, his cheeks still tinged pink. His dragon growled slightly at Parker, ruffling its scales. It was still perched atop Malcolm's head. It made him look like he was wearing a growling purple hat.

As the sun started to set, Sumner wondered for the first time what had happened to Ashlee and Millie. He didn't remember seeing them as he left for the forest. Sumner felt slightly guilty at forgetting about them. I hope Ashlee is alright, he mused. Hope she wasn't scared out of her wits by another spider. Sumner smiled faintly at a memory from a few years back.

A bloodcurdling scream split the air. It was Ashlee's.

“What’s wrong, Ashlee? “ Sumner cried with his heart in his throat. All kinds of horrible scenarios flashed through his head of what could have happened to her. ”Where are you?”

“I-I’m in here!” Ashlee replied, her voice shaking.

Sumner burst through the door into the old storage shed behind the Cock’s Crow. He found Ashlee standing up on top of a pile of crates, clutching her hand to her chest.

“What happen? What’s wrong?” He scanned the room for anything that could have made Ashlee scream like that.

“Spider,” Was all Ashlee could get out.

Sumner stared at her in disbelief. “All of this is because of a…..spider?” He just couldn’t believe it. Suddenly he began to laugh so hard he cried.

“It’s not f-funny, Sumner!” Ashlee said in distress. Yet at the same time she sounded embarrassed.

Sumner wiped the tears from the corners of his eyes. ”Yes, of course it’s not. Sorry.” He offered his hand to her. “Come on; let’s get you down from there.”

Ashlee took his hand and hopped down.

“Now maybe you should avoid dark, dusty storage sheds from now on, huh?” He advised in a serious tone. Ashlee looked up at him and scowled.