𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈: 𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐄

. . .

        𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐋𝐋 𝐎𝐍 the door rang as they walked inside of the library. There was really no point in walking Flora inside because as soon as she went in the split up from Miles to go look around.

Miles put his hands in his pockets, as he looked at the shelves of books. Miles didn't read a lot, he didn't know where to really start either. He didn't know what he even liked.

"You look like you know what you're doing here." A voice spoke up, a girl was putting some book back in the shelves as she looked at Miles. "Definitely." Miles said sarcastically and smiled a little, the girl smiles back.

She looked older than Miles, by a couple years at most, shy had gray blue eyes and dyed blonde hair tied back into a ponytail, a small stud piercing on her nose. Dark eyeliner in her waterline and black mascara on, a cool berry nude lip stick on her lips. She turned around fully and leaned against one of the shelves.

"What do you like? I can help you find something." She offered, Miles shrugged, "Whatever you like." Miles answered, the girl laughed, which made Miles smile. "Come on, I'll show you some stuff." The girl said and nodded her head down the aisle as she began to walk off.

. . .

        "𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐎𝐍𝐄... well, it's a book." The girl said, picking a book off of a shelf, handing it to Miles. 'Mysterious Skin' Miles raised his eyebrows and looks up at the girl "What's it about?" Miles asks, The girl laughed nervously. "I'd just read the back." She responds, Miles nods and does just that. Miles quickly decides this is the one he's going to rent.

"This one's fine." He says and nods, the girl raised her eyebrows, "Jesus, are you okay?" She asked, she looked stunned. "Yeah, I'm good." Miles said and nodded quickly. "Okay... well, I can get that checked out for you if you actually want it." She says, Miles tilts his head. "You work here?" He asks, she nods "Only job close enough to my college that pays good." She explains.

"College hm? How old are you?" He asked,"19, you?" The girl asks, "15." Miles responds, the girl raises her eyebrows, her face goes slightly red. "Shit, really? I thought you'd be older." She says and laughs nervously, Miles smiles "Yeah?" He asks and furrows his eyebrows slightly. He figured she'd be older than him, not in college though.

"Yeah, you're.. nevermind, I'll check the book out, let's go." She said as she began walking again, Miles laughed and bit his lip.

. . .

    "You know, you're old enough to volunteer here if you wanted." The girl asked as she walked behind the library counter, there was already someone there. "Really? Maybe I'll think about it." Miles said and nodded.

"Claire you're off shift, what are you doing?" The other woman behind the counter asked. "Checking this out," she said and held up the book before glancing at Miles "Maybe getting us some extra help." She said and smiled, the other woman nodded. "Mhm..." She hummed.

"Miles! I got something!" Flora said as she ran up to her brother, he put a hand in her head. "Yeah? Let me see." He said as he then held out his hand. Flora handed him the book and he scanned through the pages "It's a big book, you sure you can read it all?" Miles teased, Flora furrowed her eyebrows "Of course I can!" She defended, Miles laughed.

"Okay, if you're sure." He said and smiled. "Oh, I got Kate and Rose too." Flora added, motionining over to the two, who were now walking over together, Miles' smile faded slightly.

"Sorry I took a bit." Rose apologized as she walked up to the two kids with Kate, Miles knew her apology was mostly directed to Flora though. "You guys don't have accounts here get do you? I can check these out on mine and try to at least get you one, Miles." Kate offered, Miles shook his head "No thanks." He declined, he wasn't planning on being here long anyways.

"Kate? Thought you were gone, like, forever." Claire chimed in from behind the counter, Kate turned her attention to her, Miles furrowed his eyebrows. They knew each other, apparently.

"Claire, hi! Yeah, there was a... change of plans!" Kate exclaimed, Miles didn't like her change in tone, it sounded somewhat forced. "How's your sister, how's college?" Kate asked, Claire shrugged and leaned on the counter. "Good, good yeah. Just stressful." She says, and laughs awkwardly.

Kate nods and pauses for a moment before turning back to Miles and Flora. "Well I see you've met Miles, and Flora." She said, patting Flora on the head, Miles shot her a glance. "Yeah, I was taking to Miles about maybe volunteering here." Claire said, Kate raised her eyebrows slightly "Really? Yeah, I think that would be good for him." Kate said and shot Miles a glance, Miles furrowed his eyebrows. What was that even supposed to mean.

"Uhm, anyways, Claire is the sister of one of my old students, good friend of mine." She introduces to the two children, Miles switches his demeanor only slightly. "You're so pretty!" Flora says as she hangs onto the library counter, Claire laughs. "Thank you! You are too." Clair says, returning the compliment. Flora smiles, that makes Miles smile.

"Anyways, uh, you can check out those two on my account." Kate says after a moment of silence, Claire nods. "Yeah, of course!" She says quickly. Miles looks at the ground and takes a quick glace at Kate and Claire.

. . .

        The books were successfully checked out, and Kate gave a quick thanks to care as the four of them began to walk out, "Hey, wait, Miles." Claire called, Miles stoooed and turned around. "If you decide to volunteer, back back tomorrow, around this time. I'll help get you started." She said, I Miles nodded and raised his eyebrows slightly. "Sure, yeah." He said and smiled before walking out of the building.

[a/n]: NO!!! THIS IS NOT TURNING INTO A ROMANCE STORY! Just had to clarify. Anyways trust, Claire plays a very big role in the story for Miles's character development, and it's absolutely devastating. Anyways like her while you can 🤗💪💪