𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈: 𝐃𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐌𝐀𝐊𝐄𝐑

. . .

        𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐒 𝐖𝐀𝐒 silent the rest of the afternoon, he hated how small the apartment was because the only thing he could do was sit in the living room reading his book whole Kate was like ten feet over in the kitchen making dinner. He didn't have his own space he cover use to actually calm the fuck down.

When dinner came around, Miles didn't eat. He hadn't really eaten anything at all since he'd gotten there.

"Flora," Kate said as the girl tapped her fork on her plate quietly before looking up at Kate and tilting her head. "How would you feel about you and Miles staying with me?" Kate asked, she was trying to bring up the subject and see how she felt without out right telling her that it wasn't an option and it was what was going to happen.

Flora's face lit up and she smiled "I want to do that!" She exclaimed, Kate laughed. "Miles, sound good to you?" She asked, looking over to the couch. Of course they'd already had this talk, and Miles was not okay with it, but he said yes anyways because his sister seemed to like the idea and he didn't really have a choice.

"Yeah, sounds fun." Miles said flatly, forcing a small smile on his face. "Then it's settled." Kate said, putting on that same smile Miles did. Miles wasn't sure if their uncle was actually just giving custody to Kate, or if he was still technically their guardian, just not taking care of them. It didn't really matter though because the outcome was still the same, they'd be staying with Kate.

. . .

        𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐒 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐘𝐄𝐃 awake most of the night, after dinner everyone else started getting ready for bed, Miles just laid in the couch and read his book. He sort of liked it actually, it kept him distracted and gave him something to do until he passed out.

Miles used to find it easy to fall asleep at night in the estate, he'd tire himself out in one way or another. Not here, he couldn't. This wasn't his home, he didn't feel comfortable falling asleep, he was pretty sure the only reason he did yesterday was because he was so mentally drained he stopped functioning.

Miles was in fact tired, he just couldn't sleep. He kept having to reread the same pages over and over because his eyes felt heavy and blurry and words were blending together. He would have finished it that night if he hadnt groaned and shut the book, and reached over to set it in the coffee table.

It was sort if a hard read, but that's what he wanted, that's why he picked it. His eyes fluttered closed as he rolled over on his stomach and buried his face into the pillow on he couch. He didn't want to fall asleep, but at the moment the idea seemed appealing.

His eyes hurt, he had them shut to maybe relieve the pain, then he'd open then again, that's what he thought. That didn't happen. Once he shut his eyes he couldn't bring himself to open them again, he was tired, tired enough to sleep despite the fact he was hardly comfortable enough in the house to eat.

. . .

      𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐒 𝐖𝐎𝐊𝐄 𝐔𝐏 earlier than expected, he'd heard someone, more specifically Rose. She was in the kitchen pouring herself a glass of wine while talking to someone on the phone, saying goodbye to them apparently because she hangs up a few seconds later.

Miles sits up straight and furrows his eyebrows. "Rough night?" He asks, his voice slightly raspy, his words coming out quieter than expected. Rose seemed a little startled before she furrowed her eyebrows and leaned against the fridge. "What?" She asks, Miles shrugs. "It's early, your drinking." Miles said, Rose clicked her tongue.

"Do me a favor and when you grow up don't be an asshole like every other guy out there." She said, completely ignoring Miles' previous phrase. Miles raised his eyebrows. So she was upset, about men. That's what he figured anyways.

"I'm going to take a shower." Miles mumbled as he got up from the couch, grabbing his backpack full of clothes that was next to it, Rose nodded "Kay." She said simply, sipping from her glass. "When you're done, put the bottle up some where higher. Flora could get into it." He warned as he walked away from her, Rose simply nodded.

. . .

       𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐒 𝐑𝐀𝐍 his fingers through his damp hair as he pulled down the sleeeves of his sweater. It was still too early, for here anyways. He didn't know what he was supposed to do this early besides read. Sure he liked the book, not so much actually reading it.

"Miles! I finish my book!" Flora chimed as she skipped out of Kate's room, book in hand, Miles didn't even know she was awake. "Oh really? Was it good?" Miles asked as he leaned into the table by the kitchen.

"Yeah! And Kate said that, uhm, she's gonna take us to the library so we can return it in... half an hour and so you can do your volunteering." Flora said slowly as the looked at the ceiling, like she was trying to remember exactly what Kate said. Miles frowned, he didn't really appreciate Kate trying to make the decision for him.

He didn't want to volunteer, he didn't want to have to basically do the same job as people who actually worked there and not get anything, but then again he had nothing to do in Kate's apartment, he didn't want to be there at all, so if he did volunteer, that would be an excuse to leave every once and a while.

"Really? That sounds fun." Miles said and smiled, but his voice was flat. He sort of appreciated Kate for at least liking Flora and treating her good, but that was where his appreciation ended. She came to work at the estate firm Flora, her job was the teach Flora, to take care of Flora.

Miles was pretty sure the only reason he was still even there was because Flora wouldn't leave without him, strangely he didn't mind. He wanted it that way. He didn't want her trying to do things for him like she did for Flora. It wasn't her job, her job was the take care of his sister, but for some reason she just couldn't understand when to stop, and where she wasn't wanted.

[a/n]: I love books, so there will be a lot of book parallels in the upcoming chapters, not pointless ones either, ones that specifically add to the story and point to Miles' trauma. I already added the one with Mysterious Skin, but that's not so much of a parallel as just him enjoying the book. But needless to say, keep an eye out for some parallels.