Three

A laugh lit up your throat.

Slowly, your eyes travelled over his body, from his broad shoulders to his bearded face and the shoulder-length hair he kept out of his face with a ribbon. Yes, he really was a fine specimen of a man.

Carefully, so as not to frighten him or cause unnecessary aggression, you raised your hands so that he could see that you did not want violence.

"I don't think that question needs an answer.", you replied, tilting your head in greeting. "If you did not know who I am, what I am, then you would have no reason to clutch your sword, Lord Constable."

Struck by the logic, Horren let out a snort. His shoulders relaxed but his hand continued to rest on the pommel of his sword.

"You don't want to kill me.", it wasn't a question, he was too experienced for that.

The way he looked at you, you could guess that he had already weighed up all his options.

He wouldn't run away, his pride wouldn't allow him to. But attacking would be stupid, because he still couldn't tell exactly who was standing in front of him. What was in front of him. And since he was still breathing, he could assume that you meant him no harm. At least not yet.

"I like clever men.", you murmured with a growing smile and raised your chin. "On the contrary, I wish to save you. If that's what's on your mind."

Horren's eyes narrowed. Scepticism nested in his heart. And yet he allowed you some of his attention.

"What are you talking about?", he asked.

Satisfied, you took a deep breath. Good. All that was missing now was a little persuasion.

"I think we both know...", you lowered your eyes to hide a smirk. "...that only one of us is mortal."

He snorted. The light of the moon mingled with the silver of his hair. It would be the only silver you would love to touch.

"You are... what? A devil?", he asked.

You had to laugh.

"But no! I'm not red enough for that. And I don't have horns either."

"What then?"

"What do you think? I prefer the night. My ears are better than those of any living creature. I can hear the beat of your heart. I can smell the blood running through your veins."

Horren shifted his weight. Now he was no longer standing defensively, but turned directly in your direction.

One of your eyebrows raised.

"Lord Constable.", you purred. "An attack... would not be advisable."

The grip on his sword seemed to hesitate. Blue eyes travelled over your face, searching for something, any reason that would allow him to attack you first. But he knew his chances were very slim.

"What are you, my lord?", he asked again, his teeth clenched.

You sighed and wiped a chain from your forehead that had strayed from your hair jewellery.

"A vampire. Vampire lord, to be exact.", you replied. "The obvious is usually what people want to avoid the most. Isn't it?"

You gave him a quick smile before letting out a long breath. Now would have been a good time for him to plunge the blade into your stomach. He could certainly land a blow before you split his skull in two.

To your surprise, however, he decided against it. The hand disappeared from the sword and calm returned to his face.

"What do you want?", again there was that rasp in his voice, that tremor that made your innermost tremble.

You smiled and for the first time the tips of your front teeth bared themselves before his eyes.

A slight wince crossed his face. But the Lord Constable didn't make it obvious and returned to his taut posture.

"I already said I could save you.", your eyes travelled over his body again and you wondered where he had been infected by the black plague.

"I don't know what you're talking about.", he replied.

"Of course not. Let's just say the hair on your head isn't the only black thing about you, Lord Constable."

A shadow chased through his eyes. Now you had him where you wanted him.

"How-?"

"That's not important. What matters is that I can heal it. And then you'll be healthy forever."

His lips moved. You could hear his heartbeat change. He was excited. But there was something else. Pain. Whenever his heart beat, something twitched by his ear and the green beads tinkled.

So it had to be on his right arm. Or it was much closer to his lungs than he liked.

"Why?", he finally asked.

You shrugged.

"A long life is one thing above all, boring. Every now and then I bring playmates into the house.", you looked at him and waited for his reaction.

"I'm not... a man for that sort of thing."

You snorted.

"But please, what do you think of me, Lord Constable? I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. But I think a pretty face will serve me well for many years before I start to get bored again. So, do you wish to make a contract?"

Horren averted his eyes. He would probably never have agreed to a an offer like this. But now despair was eating away on his life. And he knew that his species only had one life.

"What... what would it cost me?", he looked up again.

Icy blue trembled with despair. Your eyes sparkled a ruby red.

"Loyalty.", you answered honestly. "And a bit of freedom."

"Freedom."

"Don't worry, I've always been a merciful master. Your new brothers will be able to confirm that. I feed my pets well. They have plenty of space and are allowed to enjoy themselves whenever they want. All I want in return is... that you alleviate the loneliness."

Horren swallowed hard. He thought about it. Then he held out his hand. You almost had to laugh at how clumsy the gesture was.

"No, not like that.", you whispered and stepped so close to him that the warmth of his chest caressed your skin.

That was the only thing you had left. Warmth, even if only that of mortal creatures.

He would lose it soon. Just like every other offspring you had created over the centuries.