Fifty

"Astarion.", his name was like a prayer on your lips, poured from the top of your tongue and brought nothing but salvation.

Red eyes stared at you, widened in fear and anticipation. His lips move to yell but your ears were deaf.

How beautiful he was. So full of confidence now, radiant even. This was a man who had beat Cazador's ways. Or perhaps not quite.

He'd be better. One day.

A soft smile made its way to your lips as your hand rose to touch his cheek. Confused, he froze. You kissed him, his hands flinched to reach up and hold onto your shoulders.

Or perhaps not.

Suddenly he pushed you off him.

"Clear your mind!", he yelled into your face, cheeks red, eyebrows drawn together. "He's weakened!"

A fire burned inside his eyes as he shifted on his feet in an impressively light manner and pointed his bow at the master he had throw to the ground.

Groaning, Cazador turned on his back. An arrow stuck out from his throat. He didn't look all that pleased as he broke it in two, pulling it from his flesh in a quick movement.

"There you are again, little dove.", he purred and got back to his feet.

Immediately, you pushed yourself between him and Astarion. The expression on your face only could be interpreted as a warning.

"I don't mind wounds, Cazador.", you said, your voice regaining strength. "But tarnish him again and I will make sure no one will remember you."

Cazador's body stiffened. Then a smirk appeared on his lips. It was the usual, twisted expression that could have made your blood freeze.

But not this time.

Again, you called for the dark. It answered, although less than it used to be. Only a few shadows were left, torn and broken like the rest of their bodies.

They snaked around your feet, kissed them and begged for guidance. It seemed even the darkness of hell needed a master.

"Astarion.", you were afraid to speak his name out loud in front of Cazador. "Keep your distance. You're an archer. I will handle him."

Astarion put a new arrow on the bowstring.

"I'll watch your back.", he said and distanced himself.

Cazador's eyes followed his movements. There was so much satisfaction on his face. It was disgusting how he acted as if he would be the one to take him from you.

A cold wind chased through the garden. It was but a sad shadow of its former self, withered and broken. Most plants had died, the soil was rotten from yours and Cazador's blood.

Only very few leaves rustled. But there was also something else. The sound as if calm waves hugged the shore.

The sweet smell of roses.

A gentle breath escaped your lips. Your chest felt light.

"Right.", you muttered with soft eyes. "Our grove of roses."

Cazador sucked in a sharp breath at these words. His head tilted to the side, red eyes jumped through the dark before that smug grin returned.

Yet.

There was also a hint of sadness in it.

"Don't worry my friend.", he whispered against the wind. "I will bed you softly."

All of a sudden he was gone. All that remained were stained of blood on the ground and Astarion's broken arrow that he had torn from his neck.

Goosebumps grew all over your body. You knew that he tries to trick you. Your gaze jumped through the night.