Eleven

There were strange things and then there was this. Whatever it was, it played suspiciously well into your hands.

So well, in fact, that you might think a devil was watching and wanted to do you a favour.

Whatever!

Even if that was the case, you couldn't let the opportunity pass you by. You could deal with the consequences later.

You watched the man called Astarion spellbound and bathed in the expression he carved on Cazador's face.

Was that surprise?

Desperation?

Perhaps even affection.

By the Absolute, Cazador liked this spawn!

How disgustingly adorable from a man who liked no one else but himself.

Clenching his teeth in annoyance, Cazador stared at the white-haired man. But his eyes spoke a different language. He was satisfied, expecting.

"Now is not the time.", the master hissed to his spawn.

How far would Cazador go to keep this one?

Would he lick your boots for him?

Oh, the thought alone made you excited. A smile crept onto your face. It was decided.

"No, no, this is the perfect moment.", you gestured to catch a stray strand between your fingers.

Astarion's eyes jumped up over his shoulder. He was quite short for an elf, reaching just above your shoulder. And he was scrawny too. But that was probably due to the poor care Cazador took of him.

So it couldn't be feelings that made him cling to him like that. Even if he was an abysmally bad man, you firmly believed that he would take good care of those he loved. If he could ever love anyone but himself.

No, Astarion had to be of greater importance to him. He had to serve a purpose.

When your eyes met, Cazador tensed visibly.

"Platinum.", he hissed, baring his pointed teeth. "Choose and then leave."

A giggle made its way up your throat. You couldn't keep your fingers off the white strand dancing between your fingers. It was soft. Silky.

Everything about him bore witness to poor care and yet he had the mane of a lion. A white lion, but still.

"My dear, you make me doubt your eyes.", you gave the master a smile that was both amused and insulting. "I have already chosen. And it will be this one."

You gently tugged at the strand.

Astarion jerked his head to the side. He tried to free himself and you let go. For some reason, this gesture confused him and he froze. He didn't seem to be used to being left alone without talking back or being punished.

It confused him.

"Interesting.", you mumbled to yourself. "Sad... but interesting."

You looked at Cazador again and this time there was not just disgust on his face but pure, icy rage. He was fuming. His fingernails clawed into the armrests of the throne.

A shiver crawled down your spine and goose bumps grew on your arms. But by all the gods and the Absolute, it felt so good to see him in such a state. It was sweeter than any blood you had ever drunk.

"Platinum!", your name was a threat from his mouth.

You raised an eyebrow. A smirk played around your lips. It was foolish to think that you had already won.

"Are you denying me my right to compensation?", you asked.

His lips moved.

Astarion frowned. It was obvious that he was not allowed to speak, but there were so many questions hanging in the air. Everything confused him at that moment. And yet somehow he understood.

Wild panic flashed in the red of his eyes. His gaze darted around the room but he didn't dare look at Cazador. He knew that his master would not help him.

A scowl escaped Cazador. Like a small child, you thought amusedly.

"I said you may choose what is in this room from all of them.", he gestured to the row of men kneeling next to the throne.

You nodded in agreement. Your arms lifted to encompass the whole room.

"This very room.", you said, your hands coming to rest on Astarion's shoulders. "And as far as I can tell, and probably everyone else too, this man is standing in this room. The room from which I may choose. And I choose him."

Shoulders tensed under your fingers. He was either angry or scared. Neither was in your favour. It would take a lot of work to get him on your side. And then maybe you could make use of him.

Even if it was just to see Cazador's stupid face once more.

The master of the house leant forward with a growl, his body was full of vigour and his hair stretched upwards in black strands.

But what could he say?

The logic was flawless. He had given his word. And you had accepted it, as honour permitted. Talking his way out of it now would only make him look stupid. Dumber than he already did.

"Platinum!", again he hissed your name like it was made of poison.

"Cazador.", you were practically purring, the grin on your lips couldn't have been more smug.

Stone shattered under his fingers. And beneath yours, Astarion moved. Slowly, he turned his head and glanced up at you again. He hardly dared to breathe, the movements of his chest when he drew breath were painfully shallow.

You met his gaze and smiled to calm his nerves. It didn't have the desired effect, but he grimaced and shook off your hands. Again you gave him space, lowered your hands and again he was confused.

What was wrong with this man?

He was definitely no longer a child, so it couldn't be shame. And neither could it be disgust, because you couldn't see any disgust in his eyes. He simply wasn't used to this kind of behavior.

Smiling, you turned to him and put two fingers under his chin so that he had to look at you.

"My dear spawn.", you breathed into his face. "You don't have to behave like that. You'll taste freedom with me."

Cazador exploded with rage. Power poured from every fiber of his undead body and a surge of deadly energy ate through the bodies of the men you were supposed to choose from.

Before this unbridled cruel power could reach you, you called the darkness to your side with a silent command and the shadows devoured you two with skin and hair.