Fifteen

The water was still steaming when Astarion found his way to you, just as it had been with everyone else. A soft smile appeared on your lips as he hesitantly pushed open the door to the bathroom and took a look inside.

Warm tiles nestled against his feet, leaving dirty prints behind. You regretted that you hadn't given him shoes. On the other hand, it didn't seem like he was used to shoes.

He stopped three steps away from the bathtub. You rested one arm on the edge and rested your head on it. Strands of your hair tickled your cheeks.

He said nothing, just looked down at you, waiting. There it was again, that insecurity that burnt into him.

"What do you long for, my darling?", you asked in a purring voice.

A shadow flitted across his face. His lips moved but he hesitated. Again.

How many times could a man hesitate before he died?

A deep breath escaped your nose.

"Say it quietly.", you sat up, your fingers half in the water, which you hadn't noticed because the temperature had no effect.

He frowned.

"Say what?", his voice sounded snippy.

You pointed your head towards the bathtub. He stepped back and crossed his arms in front of his chest.

"What do you want me to say?", he repeated and immediately the uncertainty in the red of his eyes was visible again.

You stared at him for a moment so that he could find the courage to say what he already knew. When it remained silent for too long, you stood up.

He backed away from you. Strange, even though you were taller than him, you didn't seem to have a threatening expression. At least you tried to be gentle.

"I...", his hands clenched into fists. "Darling... that's not... I don't think I like being called that."

A spark of self-consciousness flashed through him and he lifted his chin. Your fingers twitched inevitably, filled with the desire to touch him. But you didn't. He probably wouldn't want to be touched.

Another audible long breath escaped you.

"Very well.", you bowed your head and stepped aside to make way for him.

He eyed the surface sceptically. Small dried flowers floated with the movement of the water. It smelled of all the good herbs. Clean.

When was the last time he had taken a bath?

He couldn't remember. No, that was a lie. He knew exactly, because the touch of the one he had bathed with was still burning in his flesh.

Inevitably, his muscles twitched. If one could even call it that. He was badly anything but scrawny.

"Would you like to eat?", you asked, stepping further back.

His eyes jumped to you. Hunger burned in them. And fear. He didn't want to be alone in a house he didn't know. But at the same time, he was also afraid of you. Or of what you could do to him.

Your gaze softened.

"I can stay. Not near you but in this room.", you offered and he seemed to warm to the idea.

He briefly looked at the water again.

"How much will it cost me?", he said quietly.

Confused, you shook your head.

"Why would it cost anything?"

He swallowed. Darkness seemed to creep into him. Then he shook his head quickly and grabbed his collar to pull the white shirt over his head.

The fabric fell to the floor. He pushed it away with his foot. It almost looked as if he wanted to get rid of this shirt as quickly as possible.

Your interest was aroused by a mark on his back.

Suddenly his eyes darted over his shoulder. Shame was reflected in his face.

With your head down, you closed your eyes and turned so far away that it was impossible to see him. A sigh of relief sounded.

Cords opened. Something fell to the floor again, probably his trousers and then his underwear.

Water splashed. Again he sighed, deep and restful. The sound of moving water tickled the back of your head, then it splashed.

Silence reigned between you. You listened to the rhythm of his breathing and the beat of his heart. How excitedly it pounded.

Or was it the constant vigilance that drove his pulse so high?

It splashed again and his arms disappeared under the water.

Astarion hummed. Eyes rested expectantly on you.

"They call you Platinum.", he said calmly, but also a little thoughtfully. "Why?"

The chains on your chest clinked as you turned towards him. Again you waited to give him time. When he didn't protest, your eyes opened and (E/C) gaze rested on his face. And only on his face.

Although you didn't need to inspect him to know that he was even more miserably thin than you had first assumed. The purple on his neck shimmered. He swallowed and his skin twitched. It still hurt him.

"Platinum is like silver, only it doesn't burn through our skin.", you said, running your fingers over your jewellery.

His eyes narrowed.

"I thought you were so powerful that it couldn't hurt you.", he admitted quietly.

Was there disappointment in his voice?

"I like the cool shine of silver. But it's not worth burning myself. Platinum is like silver."

"Only more expensive."

The way Astarion said it revealed that he was very aware of how much something was worth in gold. He didn't seem to be impressed by the amount of your jewellery either. So he must know a thing or two about wealth.

Probably not because he was rich himself. Cazador didn't pay his spawns, but very few did. Even you only gave your darlings money when they felt like spending it. Otherwise they just lived into the night.

Perhaps he had been wealthy in his previous life. But Astarion didn't look like a posh man. Rather like someone who knew how to do and say what others demanded of him until he had what he wanted.

His eyes flitted over you again. This time, however, he seemed interested instead of frightened.

His hand lifted out of the water. Thick beads dripped from his bony fingers. He beckoned you closer.