Chapter 7: Honesty Is The Best Policy

Gym class was always either an intense hour or so of you playing sport, or a pretty uneventful hour where you would sit on the sidelines with Jiro and Kamo while you watched the rest of the class play.

Today was one of the intense days where you were playing, mainly because you were encouraged to be the rest of the boys. Basketball was the chosen sport for the day, so it was at least something you enjoyed somewhat.

"Hey Y/n! On your left!" You heard Minami call out to you from the left hand side of the court.

You had the ball in your hands and were unsure what to do with it. The distance between you and the hoop was short enough for you to take on a shot, but Minami was in a good area where he would be able to go on and score himself.

Feeling unselfish, you threw the ball out to Minami who dribbled his way past two other players before throwing the ball into the hoop. The teacher blew his whistle and everyone started running back to the centre circle to restart the game.

"Hey, nice pass! You easily could've gone yourself you know?" Minami said to you as caught up either you.

"Eh, you called for it so I gave it to you. Besides, I was feeling pretty unselfish." You said with a smile.

"Well, let's keep this up then. Yeah?" He said, causing you to nod your head.

As time passed and the more worn out you became, the game started to slow down and the intensity started to die off. While playing, you also noticed that on the other side of the net that divided the indoor courts, the girls were playing as well, though some of them were sat around and watching the basketball game.

Notably, you saw how Akari was watching Minami closely the whole time as was Shiori. Though at one point, you glanced over and noticed her watching you. When she saw you glancing at her, she smiled and waved prompting you to wave back at her.

Eventually, the teacher blew the whistle to put a pause in the game which came as a relief to you since you were feeling pretty worn out.

"Take a quick break boys! We can resume when everyone feels ready!" The teacher said as you took this as an opportunity to take a drink of water.

"Pretty intense right?" Minami said as he joined you.

"Yeah it is. Especially when everyone takes it so seriously." You commented before taking another long swig from your water.

"It makes it fun that way. You wanna be able to play properly after all." Minami said.

"So I know this is completely off topic, but how are you doing in the practical? The first month seems to be going by quite quickly doesn't it?" He asked you as you finished taking your swig of water and placed your bottle back on the floor.

"It has been going by really quickly, I agree. But I've been coping better than I thought I would." You said.

"That's good to hear, especially since Takamiya is your partner and how she has been pretty infatuated with you for quite some time." Minami said which brought back all of the times she had expressed her interest in you before the practical.

"Y-yeah...she's not a bad person though. I enjoy being around her." You said, looking over at the girl in question who was talking with Akari and Natsumi.

"What about you Minami? How are you getting along with Shiori?" You asked, eager to hear how he was feeling about the whole thing.

"Oh yeah, me and her are getting along okay now! It did start out really awkward, but I think that's normal. Both of us were just a bit unsure at first, but we've gotten past that." He said.