Rude Awakening

“Where did Bardock go…” Gine asked herself in worry as she walked around town searching for her husband, they just put their son in his space capsule and he just… vanished on her, just where was he gone..?

Gine sighed as she walked past what was previously their warm home and now just a husk of what it once was, a home full of joy and laughter with her family turned into a hollow space of sorrow and silence…

Gine suddenly stopped in front of her former cooking job as she was hit by a wave of nostalgia, it was where she served meals to whoever paid for it.

Gine went under the yard where she could touch the tables with her hand, feeling the dust. Maybe she could cook here one final time to relieve her stress before she goes back to search for her husband?

Making her mind, Gine was about to take a cloth to clean the table when a bright orange light suddenly lit the whole room, what was-.

Gine’s brain took several moments to comprehend what she was looking at until her mouth opened in a silent scream as everything went white.

??? 𝙷𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚎,

Gine woke up startled, sweat dripping down her forehead while her heart was going a mile per minute inside her chest as she gripped her blanket-.

…Wait, blanket?

Gine took a look at her surroundings, she wasn't on planet Vegeta…where was she…?

…Oh.

Gine’s eyes widened as she patted herself, she wasn't dead…? Or is it a product of her mind trying to escape a much darker reality?

A light tap on her right arm made her glance down unconsciously at the being next to her, bearing a shocking resemblance to her late husband-.

It was at this moment that everything went crashing on her like a tsunami as all the events until now came back to her in a flash.

“KAKAROT!” Gine exclaimed in joy and disbelief as she saw her son alive just beside her and looking surprisingly well as he looked at her in concerne, she then picked him up and took him in a tight hug against herself, fearing that if she lets him go for even just a second that he will disappear.

“Oh! You're finally awake!”.

Gine’s shoulders went rigid as she looked up from her son towards another occupant that she didn't even see during her awakening, although her body did relax a tad when she saw that he only looked like what seemed to be an elderly Earthling.

“…Who are you? Are you the one who rescued me and took care of my son?” Gine asked somewhat wary still, gripping her son protectively and hiding him in her arms.

"Yes I was” The elderly man answered first, deciding to reassure her before anything else “I found both you and your son in your spacecraft and I brought you both here to my house to recover, I even took good care of your son as you can see, even it wasn't that easy of a task, he is quite the troublemaker".

Gine’s expression softened, hearing that he was indeed the one who helped them "Thank you! I am very grateful. How could I ever repay you for your aid?".

The elderly man simply dismissed the gratitude with a gentle shake of his head "Do not worry in the least maam, you do not have to repay me anything, I simply did it in my own volition" he then went a chair and sat down "I am just glad to find you awake and in better health" he gave her a light smile and proposed his hand to sake "My name is Gohan by the way".

Gine smiled back while she put her now sleepy son on her lap, shaking Gohan’s hand in a firm yet gentle manner, aware of her strength "...Gine, nice to meet you".

“The pleasure is all mine, truly, I again am relieved to see you awake after the state I found you in… which brings us to our current matter at hand…” Gohan took a somewhat more serious yet still very gentle and caring tone, trying to not be too pushy “What happened to you and… what are you? You both aren't obviously humans”.

Gine sighed, while this was still very fresh and she kinda didn't want to talk about it so soon, this man did help her and her son when he could have left them at the hands of fate alone wherever he found them… this was the least she could do
“Well, to pass the details… we are maybe the last two remaining members of our race and we’re here on this planet to seek shelter after having pretty much lost almost everything to a galactic tyrant”.

“…Oh” Gohan didn't know what to say, however he had the feeling that pity wasn’t something she needed right now, so he did the only thing he thought was right in this situation, help them. “I have an idea, I will modify my house and make it so you two can have your own room at least until you decide what to do? I don't mind sharing for a while”.

Gine was surprised by this developpement, he already found her and her son, brought them back in his house and nursed her back to health while he took care of her son! And now he proposed to shelter them too? She didn't know what to say…

Gohan saw her hesitation and chuckled light-heartedly “Gine you truly do not have to feel forced to repay me anything, as I said earlier I am doing it but my own volition because I like to help people in needs, while you clearly are, it seems that you and your son also went through something very traumatic so this is truly the least I can do at the moment” Gohan said gently, trying to reassure her again.

Gine thought for a moment as she looked at her son, his well being went above everything else and he needed a home anyway “Ok then Gohan, I will gladly accept your very generous offer”.

“Very well then, I will leave you two to get back your bearings and take some rest as I will need to ask for more information later on, I will not be long” Gohan then left, leaving Gine alone with her now sleeping son on her lap.

“...We did it Bardock, do you see us from where you are? I will take care of Kakarot you will see, you'll be proud of him, and of me too hopefully” Gine said with a small smile as she caressed Kakarot’s spiky black hair while looking outside through the window at the singular gibbous Moon on full display in the night sky.