eleven.

CALLING THE mentors into their spots, the games were soon to begin—at least the broadcast was

CALLING THE mentors into their spots, the games were soon to begin—at least the broadcast was. Lucky paced up the walkway, ushering students to hurry to their seats.

"Sit down, Festus." Lucky called the boy out as he quickly made his way to his designated desk.

Vienna settled into her seat next to Pup Harrington, a silent understanding passing between them. Lamina's potential need for assistance had prompted her strategic choice of seating. She sent a reassuring smile to Pup, who responded with a thumbs up.

Lucky reached the front, his camera-ready tone turning on. "As you know, we are about to go live. Just because you are not hosting doesn't mean you are off the hook. Help me. Don't get lost behind your screens. No yawning, no gum chewing, keep your chins down, heads up, shoulders back, and smile—it's why we have teeth," he lectured them.

Everyone was on edge as the broadcast officially went live, with Lucky introducing himself to the cameras as if no one knew who he was. The auditorium held its breath, a collective sense of anticipation settling over the students.

Everything they have worked for has led up to this moment—every conversation, every alliance, and every strategy have culminated in this pivotal moment. The gravity of the situation was felt by each mentor, their nerves on edge as the reality of the Capitol's games became all-encompassing.

Lucky rushed away from the screen, instructing the mentors to leave once their tribute died. On the big screen, Vienna watched as Lucy Gray, Reaper, and a few other tributes entered the arena.

Her eyes scanned the screen as more tributes arrived, being guided—more like controlled—to their marked spots. Some tributes were pushed and thrown to the ground. Fortunately, Vienna spotted Treech looking around nervously as the peacekeepers retired out of the arena.

A wave of nausea washed over Vienna as the camera panned to reveal Marcus's frail body, suspended from a beam. She instinctively covered her mouth, unable to tear her eyes away from the horrifying sight. Gasps and shock reverberated through the auditorium as the cameras zoomed in on his beaten shape.

"Ohhh, Marcus. Guess we can all sleep better now, knowing he is off the streets." Lucky remarked, adding to the frustration on Sejanus' face.

Sejanus rose in anger, picking up his seat and throwing it across the room. The tiny screen on the desk breaking apart as he turned to face his peers. The sight in front of Vienna was woeful; the look on Sejanus's face was filled with vengeance and misery.

"You're monsters! All of you!" Sejanus's scream pierced the silence in the room. As he stormed out of the room, Vienna's eyes followed him with a heavy heart. The Capitol's indifference to the life lost intensified the grim atmosphere. Vienna couldn't help but feel a deep sense of unease as the broadcast continued, wishing there was a way she could console him in that moment.