fifteen.

"WAKEY WAKEY, my Capitol friends!" Lucky announced to the audience, welcoming them to the second day of the games

As she walked with her parents by her side, the auditorium was already packed with students and mentors. Vienna, being one of the last to arrive, utilized her tardiness as a way to escape her parents.

"Now, while most of you were getting your beauty sleep last night, something scintillating occurred. Bobbin, from district eight—slaughtered," Lucky reported as the sound of the buzzer eliminated Juno Phipps.

As he spoke about the fallen tribute, Lucky's gaze remained on Vienna, leaving her to wonder what he knew of the situation. Had he been told what happened to the poor boy? Did he know Vienna was there when it happened? She deepened her gaze on the charismatic host, attempting to decipher his thoughts, but eventually gave up.

Shaking off the thoughts plaguing her own mind, Vienna made her way to her seat, only to be called upon by her parents. "Remember, our family name is on the line, Vienna," her mother cautioned, the words carrying a subtle threat. The pressure to uphold her reputation, despite not caring, pressed on Vienna, only adding to the stress of keeping Treech alive.

Vienna refused to revert back to her old self—the obedient daughter they had molded her into. The girl who upheld her reputation to ensure her status in the capitol, even if it hurt others in the process. Vienna didn't want to be that girl anymore. She didn't want to be her parents little pawn in the Capitol's games, but she had to be—at least pretend to be.

There was no doubt that Vienna's parents were dangerous people. The Hawthorne's take what they want when they want, and that scared her. Vienna knew she had to tread carefully. She defied them once, and it brought her nothing but trouble. After they showed up at Lucky's, Vienna knew she couldn't act out again, not until the games were over.

Ignoring her parents' admonitions, Vienna proceeded toward her seat amongst the other mentors. She watched as Coriolanus, Festus, and Lysistrata gathered together, debating if she should join them or not.

When she did eventually join them, she wished she hadn't. The three of them had been staring at the dead tribute on the screen, only to tear their attention away when Vienna approached them.

"They aren't showing us what happened to that little boy." Lysistrata shared, concerned etching her features. Vienna felt her heart race at the mention of the boy, remembering how she watched his death live.

"I wouldn't dwell on it too much, Lyssie. I'm sure the cameras just didn't pick it up." Vienna lied to her friend as she eyed Coriolanus. She hated lying to Lysistrata; she was a kind soul and only wanted the best for everyone.

"He was clearly killed right there," Lysistrata muttered. "There's camera's everywhere. It doesn't make sense."

"They said they're old cameras, Lyssie," Festus replied. "Probably just another one of Coral's."