Delphine and the Unbreakable Vow

Delphine Stoeva, a traditional Bulgarian Veela, has always been shrouded in mystery since birth, and her origin remains unknown. Veelas throughout the history of the wizarding world faced intense discrimination, particularly in Bulgaria, where they were considered exotic beings, almost terrestrial sirens destined to seduce and eventually cause the death of men due to their atypical temperament. Despite clear ties to fairies, reflected in their features such as white or light blonde hair and luminous skin, and the inherent lunar connection, they were wrongly associated with dark nocturnal creatures.

Faced with persecution in Europe, many Veelas sought refuge in mountains, seas, and forests, resulting in a species practically inaccessible and, in some cases, on the brink of extinction. Some became wild, while others, in search of survival, integrated into cities, blending in among wizards, acquiring wands, properties, and recognition, many marrying into wizarding families and producing mixed-blood descendants.

Delphine Stoeva's life followed this course. She lived in a community with other Veela sisters, but with the outbreak of the Muggle war, she found herself among ruins and donations, wandering through various countries and breaking both wizarding and Muggle laws. It was during this tumultuous period that a wealthy French wizard discovered her in a refugee camp around 1918, at the end of World War I, on the border between Switzerland and France. Enchanted by her beauty, he initially believed she was a Russian witch refugee, taking her to France and making her his wife. Stoeva concealed her name and adopted the surname Gautier, marking the beginning of our family.

Despite her young age, Emma, you carry Veela blood in your veins, as my mother used to say. She claimed that, even in youth, our brains are fully formed; we are born as if we were adults, possessing lunar knowledge from birth, hidden in our subconscious. As she said, Stoeva, despite adversity, was a woman of great strength who never gave up on her family. Her concern was to preserve future generations of Veelas above all else.

From the beginning, Lord Gautier never suspected Stoeva's true nature. He even bought a wand for her from a maker named Violetta Beauvais because she claimed that during the war, a bomb hit her home and destroyed her wand. Few people throughout Delphine's life suspected her true identity as a Veela. Gautier, the son of a wealthy Muggle farmer from the Netherlands married to a renowned French witch, owned extensive lands throughout France. After the marriage of Monsieur Gautier and Delphine Stoeva, they were sent to manage lands in southeastern France, dedicated to cotton production. The union between a half-blood wizard and a Veela witch resulted in great success in cotton production, generating considerable profit in both the Muggle and wizarding worlds. Fashion in France, especially in Paris, was starting to become a positive scandal, and the Gautiers consistently expanded their business. Leaving the countryside, they moved to the big city, supplying fabrics to the most renowned names in wizard and Muggle fashion in the twenties.

Living a life of luxury and glamour, Monsieur Gautier ardently wished for children, especially male heirs to perpetuate the Gautier surname in their lineage. However, Veelas reproduce magically on their own, a phenomenon that is beyond my understanding to explain. It has always intrigued me because Veelas rarely conceive male children in their conceptions.

Delphine, as mentioned, enjoyed a glamorous life, exploring theaters and restaurants in Paris. She began gaining influence in the wizarding world, especially among women, achieving a powerful status in the French Ministry of Magic, even without mastering some basic magical concepts. What made her unforgettable was her persuasive ability and the enchanting beauty of a Veela. Monsieur Gautier often traveled, and when Delphine became pregnant, he hired a winged witch to attend to his wife's whims.

Rose Gilmore, a Scottish witch trying to survive in France during the 1920s-30s, became one of Delphine's best friends. Delphine confided in Rose about her true identity and revealed that every child she carried would be a Veela, excelling in departments thanks to their natural gifts. Rose shared her Hogwarts-acquired knowledge with Madame Gautier, ensuring her loyalty until the end of her days.