Checkmate

Just like in a game of chess, life can put us in check. We may try to dodge, but we never know for sure when we'll lose the king. Sometimes, we leave before the queen or the rook, essential pieces; other times, these pieces are the first to go, leaving the king as the last remaining piece. As Frederique taught me in both chess and life, we never know which piece we'll be, and which pieces will go first. Analyzing it this way, I realized I had already lost the queen early in the game. Unlike the board game, where the king decides the outcome of the match, it seemed that only three pawns remained on the board, trying to dodge an enraged queen, a ruthless rook, and a heartless bishop.

At the end of the last year, my father set off in search of my mother. Since I was of legal age, I took responsibility for myself and ended up taking custody of my siblings, who were still studying at Beauxbatons. Richard continued to write me letters from the moment I returned to France in 1995, sending me chocolates, flowers, always very chivalrous. He secured a part-time job at Gringotts Bank in London, working as a talent recruiter assistant and spell-breaker for the bank. For a few weeks, Fleur sympathized and stayed with me until the day I received the sad news that my parents had been murdered by a Death Eater in a city near Dublin.

The moment I received the news, my world crumbled beneath my feet. A counselor from the British Ministry of Magic, along with a French Ministry prosecutor, appeared in Paris, at our residence, to guide me on the next steps. It was a dark period in my life that I prefer not to detail much. In an attempt to help me, Richard suggested that I work with him at Gringotts, taking up the same position. He had developed a friendship with Bill Weasley during this time. However, I politely declined, as I was not mentally prepared to start a new job. Instead, I recommended Fleur to take my place. The Delacours accepted Fleur's move to London, believing it could help her with English, as she couldn't get used to it or practice in any other way.

Once Fleur met Bill, they fell deeply in love, and Richard closely followed the development of their relationship. They quickly started dating. On a summer day in 1996, when my mind was clear, Fleur decided not to return to France during the holidays. Instead, she chose to stay at the Burrow for a while. During the same period, Richard went to visit his relatives in Liverpool, and I decided to pay a visit to Fleur before we met in Birmingham.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley welcomed me as if I were family, even though they didn't know me. Mrs. Weasley was a sweet lady who couldn't stop praising both mine and Fleur's beauty. When I saw my cousin, she was enchanting - I had never seen her so happy. Her skin was radiant, and she dressed more casually, without so much luxury. The Weasleys were a simple and very welcoming wizarding family. My visit was celebrated with many cakes and pies. As mentioned earlier, Mrs. Weasley liked me so much that she gave me a jumper with the letter "G."

The Weasley brothers were still at Hogwarts when I arrived, so the house, at times, felt empty. A day before I went to Birmingham, they returned, and the house became lively. Fred and George, the twins, kept asking invasive questions and made me a bit nervous. Ronald, upon seeing Fleur and me, blushed as always and couldn't say a word. The only one who seemed bothered by our presence was the youngest sister, Ginny Weasley, who was furious when she learned she would sleep in the same room as the young Frenchwoman on that last night. Overall, it was a delightful week that did me a lot of good, and when I finally met Richard, I felt at home again.

Between the years 1997 and 1998, many significant events occurred, with the death of Albus Dumbledore being a profound shock to the entire wizarding community. During this period, I received a letter from Fleur that curiously didn't reveal her location, as if she were communicating through codes.

Foxglove Hollow, July 3, 1997

My sister Marguerite,

I hope this letter finds you well and at peace. I feel it is my duty to share with you the recent events that have unfolded at Hogwarts, altering the course of this dreadful war the wizarding world is facing.