From Love to Hate

There are other letters between Louise and Frederico that I would like to share with you; extremely melodious and romantic letters. However, there is much to be narrated, and I will fast forward some events. After dinner, Frederico proposed to Louise, who promptly accepted. The whole family celebrated the occasion during dessert and in the following days. Following the pages of my grandmother's diary, that winter was truly enchanting. They explored some cities in the southern part of the country, spent a few days in Rio de Janeiro, and finally, Frederico took Louise and Herminia back to Salvador.

As the diary continues, the second week of August would mark the beginning of the second semester at CasteloBruxo, and the lovers were reluctant to part again. Louise would return to France, while Frederico and Herminia would go back to school to finish their final year. In Louise's diary, she describes the sadness of her departure to France, depicting how everything seemed colorless, gray, and cold. She repeatedly dreamed of the house that Frederico promised to his bride and the life she would lead in Brazil. Some nights were haunted by nightmares, in which she imagined Frederico with someone else, and during these nights, she woke up feeling very ill, with nausea and strange pains.

Despite the distance, the two continued to exchange letters almost daily, sending gifts. Louise, with her craftiness, handmade her gifts, which filled Frederico's heart with happiness because they contained a part of Louise's essence, without magic, but only her own authenticity. After a month, Louise felt uncomfortable, and Rose, noticing her behavior, called Jeanne, who, besides being a seer, understood many things and made excellent herbal remedies. When Jeanne arrived at the hills, even before Rose received her, the old witch entered the house shouting with joy, saying, "Rose, what happiness! This house will soon have children running through the corridors!" It was what Rose was hoping Jeanne would say; Louise was pregnant with twins.

All the witches of the Gautier Family were in celebration, although Rose showed her irritation upon hearing the news. However, they spent a lot of time together, discussing plans and details. Louise shared everything about her engagement to Frederico, but Rose couldn't forget Jeanne's premonitory words, stating that Louise would never be happy in love.

The prediction indicated that my mother, Caroline, and my uncle, Armand, would be born between late March and early April 1946. These names were chosen in homage to a wizarding romance from the 18th century, written by Leonard Rousseau, which narrated the prohibition of love between two lovers from different clans.

Meanwhile, Louise began to devise a plan to inform Frederico about her pregnancy. Although she wanted to avoid worrying him about the final exams of the last year's specializations, she was determined to share the news with his parents and her best friend Herminia. She was sure that Frederico's parents would be delighted with the news, and her friend Herminia, upon receiving the news, would come running to Paris. Louise wrote a letter, informing about the pregnancy and inviting everyone to visit France as soon as Frederico and Herminia completed their studies in early December. The invitation was for them to spend the Christmas and New Year's season in Europe, and she sent her owl towards Brazil to deliver the message.

On the previous day, a raven entered the living room, dropping a thick green envelope into Louise's lap as she embroidered a beautiful picture of the view from the hills to send as a gift to Frederico. This message turned everything upside down. Upon opening the envelope, she saw a photograph of Frederique in Quidditch robes, kissing a very beautiful girl in CasteloBruxo uniform, and in the same photograph, she saw her friend Herminia looking at the couple, laughing and applauding amid a lively crowd, releasing confetti and celebrating with butterbeer what seemed to be the end of a championship.

On the back of the photograph was an autograph from Frederico, indicating that he had already seen the image. Next to it, a note revealed a very familiar handwriting, and its words were direct: "I don't understand why you persist in sabotaging my brother's happiness. By looking at this photo, I hope you realize the joy he shares with my friend Solenia Vargas. They've been dating since your departure, and even your friend Herminia supports this relationship. Please stop inventing lies about a nonexistent pregnancy. I managed to intercept your letter, and I won't allow anyone to fall for your veela tricks. Goodbye!"

Upon concluding the reading of the letter and observing the photograph, the raven perched on the fireplace made a shrill noise and flew out the window, as if waiting for Louise to witness the entire revelation before returning to the sender. Later, Rose found Louise on the floor, crying and screaming in pain at the foot of the fireplace. The atmosphere in the Gautier hills took on a funereal tone and remained so until Christmas. This was one of the last entries in her diary:

Gautier Hills, December 25, 1946.

Dear Diary,

The pain and hatred consuming me are overwhelming, more intense than any Unforgivable Curse. It feels like every two hours, an Avada Kedavra is cast upon my body. Despite this relentless feeling, I feel the need to maintain my strength, for I must take care of my most precious ones, Caroline and Armand. I will raise my children in the best possible way, determined not to let them fall into the traps of passion or false friendships.

I cast various protection spells around the Gautier property, ensuring that neither Frederico nor Herminia can locate my family or approach my estate. Even if they try, they will be diverted or driven mad as they wander the outskirts of Paris. Not even their owls will be able to find me. From today on, I will enter an eternal mourning, as if Frederico had died, and my children will never know the true reason for his attributed death.

With sorrow,

Louise Gautier.

It was a difficult and dark time during Louise's pregnancy. The sweetest sister turned into a bitter and cold figure, finding no happiness even in the anticipation of the twins she carried. Louise barely ate, and despite the efforts of Rose and the other sisters to cheer her up, she had completely lost her sparkle. On April 15, 1947, Louise gave birth to the twins Caroline and Armand.

Louise's sorrow deepened even more when Clemence became pregnant a few months later and married the English Lord on December 15, 1947, causing Rose Gilmore's death. This resulted in a long and bitter dispute among the sisters for the inheritance, leading to the estrangement of all but Louise and Madeline, who remained in the Gautier hills.

Louise did not survive for many years after these events. Unable to overcome her incurable condition, there are rumors that she cursed herself. In February 1955, Louise passed away in the Gautier Hills, leaving her children, only eight years old at the time, in Madeline's care. It is at this point that the story of my mother, Caroline, begins. Amidst the sadness, the children found strength in each other's company. Madeline, though not the best maternal figure, ensured that nothing was lacking for the little ones and took care of them indirectly until their final years at Beauxbatons.