Chpt. 1 - Not Quite An Isekai

You awake to the sound of your phone ringing. You slap to the edge of your couch, aiming for the rickety side table. Your wrist smacks against the corner, and you hiss in pain. It's a few inches too high, and wood, not metal. Seems you somehow got to your bed during the night, but you didn't remember it. Still, you get your phone. Through squinted eyes, you find the screen, its 3:15, far too early for your drunken suffering- Wait no, it's mid-afternoon. Still, you feel tired, and you want to sleep.

You answer the phone anyway, putting it on speaker and resting your head back against the pillow. Your head doesn't hurt that bad anyway. God was smiling down on you today.

"Miss, are you awake?" a man's voice rings through your apartment.

Who was that? Who called you Miss of all things? Your boss didn't remember your name sure, but he just called you 'intern' instead. You'd been an official employee for six months now. Right, conversation, paying attention, replying like a normal person.

"Hm, yeah, I'm awake," you say, fighting back the urge to yawn.

"You don't sound very awake, Miss," the man replies, his tone familiar.

"Who is this?"

He sighs, "Miss, are you being sarcastic?"

"What? No, I'm serious," you confusedly answer.

"...This is Alfred, Miss. Now, Master Wayne has asked me to-"

"Master who now?" you cut this Alfred off, doubly confused now. Wayne? Like, the Wayne family? The rich, philanthropist one?

He sighs again, "I understand the relationship between the two of you is quite strained, and this is a personally difficult day for you, but he insists on seeing you. Your birthday gala starts at 7, as I've told you, and your assistant will be over at 4. I ask that you unblock both their accounts, as I would much rather I didn't have to talk to you when you're like this."

"What?" you repeat, like the idiot you are.

"Good day, Miss. And happy birthday."

He hangs up. You blink down at your phone. And then you roll your eyes, because oh my god are Molly's pranks getting ridiculous. You never should have told her about your weird fascination with the Waynes, she was getting back at you hard for your drunken mistake.

You make a lot of those. Well, life goes on. You'll put glitter in Molly's car's vanity mirror or something.

You turn off your phone, and let your face slam right back into your pillow. For a while, you try to go back to sleep.

...Something about this isn't right. You, like the freak you are, take a deep inhale of your pillow. It smells like you, like the laundry soap you use, but it also smells like... Well, you don't know. All you can think about is your new boss's wife and her awful perfume that swallows the office space like noxious gas.

Your pillow... kind of smells like that. Your first ungodly thought is that, somehow, you spent a torrid night with your boss's wife. The second is that Molly needs to die for her crimes.

You let your crusty, bleary, stinging eyes blink open.

Hm. Why is there a chandelier in your bedroom? You shoot upright in the bed, silk sheets falling to your lap. Silk sheets you can't afford. You look around the room, eyes widening at the space. The bed is king-sized, while you had barely been able to afford your twin-sized mattress. The living room isn't in the same space as the bedroom. You can't see the kitchen and the bathroom to your right has shining marble tiles. And even then, the decoration's are luxurious and clean, compared to your livable chaos.