Chpt. 2 - First (Second) Introductions

Tim Drake was an obsessive creature by nature. Ever since he was little, he'd always been easily swallowed by his obsessions. His wants and desires, the little things that fascinated him. And, more than that, he never fought it. He gave himself into it, wholly. It was how he'd gotten this far in life.

He'd taught himself how to code, how to hack. He discovered Batman and Nightwing's true identities. He'd learnt how to fight, how to keep the city safe, how to fling oneself off a building without fainting. He's taped the family back together again and again after every splinter. He was one of only two Robins left, and that would soon be the only once Bruce retired and Damian graduated.

And this was all done through obsession. And it was obsession. He was self-aware enough to know that. While the rest of the family often indulged in delusions, he never had the time for them. He'd spent countless nights pushing his lagging body along with caffeine and sheer willpower. He'd often forget to sleep or eat even on the calmer days. All that was to say, Tim Drake was obsessive.

But, his obsessions never lasted. Sure, he'd keep the skills and the relationships he'd make, but when the dust settled, he'd find himself feeling empty. Tim Drake was obsessive yes, but his true obsession was the conquest. The rush he'd get when he finally claimed a new skill, a new person, a new piece of knowledge or wisdom.

And then, too quickly, far too quickly, the rush would disappear. The tingle in his spine would leave, the energy would disappear, and that feverish nature of his would flatten. Cool down. The others in the family knew it as one of his 'moods', but Tim thought it was probably more than that. Still, he was definitely in one of them right now.

It didn't matter. None of it really mattered. The point was, right now, he was quite simply depressed. Bummed out, if you would. He'd finished a mission from Bruce, one that had taken him months of desperate, undying effort, and it was now done. And he didn't have anything to do.

It sucked.

Boredom was a sinister demon. While Tim was by far the most emotionally stable of the family, he was still, well- not. Not by a long shot, honestly. The League's mandatory therapy sessions had confirmed that. He just needed something to entertain himself, and quick. Usually, on a day like this, he'd be at home working on any random degree.

Unfortunately, he had responsibilities. He could not alleviate his boredom, because he was in the most boring place on earth.

A party. Not a party by any normal person's standards, but one of his adoptive father's galas. Even more horrifying, Bruce Wayne was in attendance. He was doing his billionaire playboy persona, and Tim couldn't stomach it. It was no shock no one else had shown up. Even Dick was busy in Bludhaven, and he sometimes enjoyed these. Sometimes.

And once again, as every year, the birthday girl was nowhere to be seen.

Tim's eyes rove over the very boring gala. Your gala, for your birthday. You weren't here, because you never were. He couldn't blame you. These balls sucked, even the better ones. This one was miserable, and the atmosphere was sombre. While it was your birthday, it was more than that, a day of death.

Your family had died, Bruce's new wife had died, and all the siblings he never really got the opportunity to meet, gone in a brilliant flash.

And Jason. Jason, who now walked the earth again, flesh and blood. Jason, who tore himself through a wooden coffin and grave dirt. Jason, who even Dick couldn't seem to bring back into the family. Jason, alive and well and probably spending the night at Roy's house. It was still the anniversary of his death, and while Jason did his best to put on a front, anyone with half a brain could tell he found today... upsetting.