Chpt. 5 - The Adams Family

The first thing you'd done when you woke up, still somehow in the Wayne manor, was pull out not-your phone and check the date. When it tells you that you are not, in fact, in some weird version of a time loop, you feel some measure of relief. The second thing you do is look your own damn name up on Google. There were over 3 million results. You have a Wikipedia page. If that hadn't made you want to gag, the press from last night had you bumbling your way into the ensuite bathroom and puking into the toilet.

It's still sitting on the bathroom floor, nauseous and achy and sweaty, your mouth washed out but still tasting foul, that you continue your research.

It's just as you had suspected, your family was dead. Still dead. Well, shit. In the light of day, you supposed that made more sense. That there was no real reason to assume otherwise. You hadn't for most of yesterday, but as soon as you'd thought that maybe there was a chance, your hopes had been dashed. Which was good, rip the bandaid off and all.

It was good. Things were good. They were fine, you were fine. You really wish you were a better liar.

Again you wash your mouth out. Root around the cabinets for some medical-grade mouthwash, do it again, and then you throw yourself into the shower. Again. You notice the soap smells like whoever's clothes you stole. Refreshing and awakening, that mint and earth again. You think you can detect something floral in it too. It's still masculine, but...

Wow, you are such a freak! You put down the fucking soap and manage to resist the urge to slam your head into the tiles. Your headache was bad enough already.

When you leave the bathroom, you glance at the door, and then down at your towel. Guess you're stealing some more apparel. You find a Superman shirt, give it a judging glance, and then pick out a black T-shirt with 'The Beatles' across the front, and some sweatpants. You have to roll up the pant legs so you don't trip and fall flat on your face.

One hand scrolling through Twitter and TikTok and Reddit and every single piece of social media you could find, getting the people's source of news and you get the high overlords' one when you turn on the huge TV attached to the wall. The remote kind of confuses you at first, but you manage to find the good ol' Gotham news channel.

Immediately, you're greeted by your miserable mascara-streaked face. You turn the TV off. You take a deep breath. Turn it back on. Luckily it's not just you getting your private moment of trauma blasted open in the media. Your party had been filled with Gotham's elite, after all. You weren't the only rich idiot left crying by the side of the road.

You weren't the only one who had to suffer. There had been twenty-eight casualties, in total. A small amount, considering the man behind the deaths. The Joker wasn't known for his cleanliness. You tell yourself that, and yet still, you can't make them just numbers. They'd been standing right next to you, after all. All in the same boat, all waiting for the axe to swing, secretly hoping you're the one who lives to the next day. Only one of the party guests had been shot, and that's because you think they'd personally pissed off the Joker. That's what Twitter says, anyway. There were multiple video recordings of the altercation, and it didn't look like he'd been the smartest banana in the bunch. The TV is a lot sweeter on the dead soul.

You feel sorry for all the dead. You still don't think this rich heir should be the face you see, though. When you check his name, you find several forgotten assault cases. Assault, rape, just like that disappearing bastard had tried to do to you. That female janitor you'd seen shot had done more for this city than that guy ever had.

Did her family know? Did she have a family? Someone to mourn her? You'd never thought about that before. How many people out there wouldn't have anyone to even remember them?