Chpt. 3 - Dreams And...

Your hands are pruned. It's quiet in the extravagant bathroom, other than the sound of the tap's running water and your own shaky breathing. This was all a bit much. Your hands are more than clean now, but you absolutely do not want to go back out there.

You kind of just want to go back into one of the stalls and cry. A core girlhood experience, except you were an adult with a job and taxes. Or, you were. You think you're some rich scion or something in this dream. Which like, cool, who wants to slave under capitalism anyways?

...You wonder if anyone would notice if you slipped out the window. You'd been gone for a while and nobody had come looking for you, since you'd totally gotten lost trying to find the bathroom. Sure, you were on the third floor, but at this point you were willing to risk it. Even if you couldn't walk in a straight line right now, much less climb the trellises. For some reason, you could not handle your liquor today like you usually could. But once again, this was all just a very vivid dream, so it wasn't like you could die.

To punctuate that thought, you hear someone scream.

It cuts off instantly, and then there's quiet again. You pause, then turn off the tap, listening for any more sound. Drip, drip, drip... you press the tap down again and properly turn it off. Still no noise. Immediately, you realise you are standing directly in a horror film. You live in Gotham for fuck's sake. It wasn't an unlikely occurrence. You'd gotten mugged just a few days ago.

And you were alone in the bathrooms. So unbelievably drunk, and alone in the bathrooms. You were actually so dead, it was crazy. A dream, a dream...!

Your head bows, staring into the white porcelain of the sink as you focus hard on your hearing. You don't think you could hear the party before, but you're not sure. It's definitely not there now. You swallow the dry pain in your throat, trying to summon a modicum of courage. Your vision spins.

You slap your wet hands to your face and then blink through your fingers. God. Okay, okay, okay. You can do this. You survived a mugging just last week with only minimal bruising. To convince yourself of your badassery, you dig your fingers into the blemishes, hoping to wake yourself up with the pain. It's a bad habit but you have lots of those.

...Where's the pain? Oh god, where's the pain? Wait, don't panic, it's a dream! Of course, you wouldn't have your bruises in a dream. That made total sense. And you definitely weren't panicking.

You splash more water on your face. Time to face the music, you drunken moron. If you were going to be in a horror movie, you'd be the final girl of all final girls.

One hand on the sink, you take your heels off. They're going to get in the way, and the sound of them clicking against the marble will give away your location. Massaging your sore ankles, you try and come up with a game plan. You don't know what's going on, and it really could all just be a false alarm, but better safe than sorry and all that. It's a gala full of some of the richest people on earth, and you're pretty sure you saw a swat team of security guards at the entrance.

So this was probably a hostage situation or a villain attack. You'd hear more noise if it was a supervillain fighting a superhero downstairs. Then you'll bet on a hostage situation for now. Depending on who had taken you all hostage, that could be a totally fine situation where you all just end up leaving with lighter purses, or it could be the Scarecrow's shown up and he's about to mentally traumatise you. Like you needed any more of that.

Of course, this was all probably still a dream. Maybe if you say it enough times you'll actually believe it. You'll just plan ahead in case this is real (which it definitely isn't). Plus you'd proven you could feel pain in this dream anyway, with all the times you'd slapped yourself. You hoped the fucking Tim Drake didn't think you were too weird. Because he definitely thought you were weird.