Chapter 4

Vera Lorraine Ongjoco

"Uhmm Ma'am Vera aren't you going home yet?"

I immediately stopped reading the files I was holding and looked at Jane. She was already ready to go home.

I checked the time and it's eight in the evening.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I said as I saw the time. I stood up and arranged the remaining files that I needed to review and sign on my table. "Let's go. Sumabay ka na sa akin pababa."

She immediately nodded and arranged her table too before turning off the lights. We left the office together and I was surprised to see Brielle sleeping on the long bench outside my office.

She felt our presence and she instantly woke up and stood up as if nothing had happened.

"Naku Ma'am V, even your personal bodyguard couldn't handle your overtime." Jane jokingly said to me when the three of us got on the elevator.

I laughed at her while Brielle was silent behind us as if she didn't hear anything.

"I guess she was tired because of Xavier earlier." I answered laughing. Jane and I just laughed until we got out of the parking lot.

I thanked her because she accompanied me even though we overtime too much. I booked her a grab so she wouldn't have to take the bus going home because it was already late.

"Why didn't you go first? Inaantok ka na pala." I turned to Brielle when Jane left.

"I can't do that, I have to wait for you to ensure the safety of---" I didn't let her finish talking because I already knew what she was going to say and I'm sick of hearing that.

"Please, Brielle. I already told you, you don't have to do all of this because you will never make me agree to go with you." I explained for the ninth time. She's just wasting time because no matter what she does, she won't let me agree to go with her.

"I know that's why I'm not opening it to you again. I'm just here to ensure the safety of the gemstone, that's all." She explained calmly, forcing her point.

"Pwede ba Brielle? I'm suffocated with you following me around. I'm not a toddler that you need to watch over 24/7. I can take care of myself." I'm already drained today and she's adding more.

"You don't understand the danger you're facing because of your closed perspective. There are many people trying to get you because of the gemstone. You saw another one earlier, didn't you? Your ex-boyfriend and your cousin, they almost hurt you." She let out a deep breath. I can see that she is running out of patience with me again.

"Sila Xavier at Luna lang ba? Gosh, I have powers. I can throw them both if I want to so please, stop pretending that your concern." Actually, I didn't need her help earlier, I just really wanted to tease Luna.

"Yeah, you have a power but you don't know how to control it. How can you defend yourself against them? Another thing is that you can't be exposed to everyone so you can't just use the powers of the gemstone, always remember that."

Point taken so I just sighed in defeat. Gosh, she doesn't want to lose. She always has an answer for me.

I opened my car and immediately got inside. She frowned when she realized that I was sitting in the driver's seat.

"Hey! Are you going to leave me? Why are you sitting in the driver's seat?" She annoyingly asked me.

I ignored her and did not open the door. Instead, I started the engine and I rolled the window a little, just enough for her to hear what I had to say.