[Chapter 3] Today is Not Real

★ ɴᴏᴡ ᴘʟᴀʏɪɴɢ: ᴛᴏᴅᴀʏ ɪs ɴᴏᴛ ʀᴇᴀʟ ★
† ᴛʜᴇ ғʀᴏɴᴛ ʙᴏᴛᴛᴏᴍs †
────────⚪────────
◄◄⠀▐▐ ⠀►►
0:00 / 0:00 ───○ 🔊⠀ ᴴᴰ ⚙ ❐ ⮎1⮌

"ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴀ ᴛʀᴀᴜᴍᴀᴛɪᴢᴇᴅ ᴠɪᴄᴛɪᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴀsᴛ ʜᴀʟғ ʜᴏᴜʀ ᴡᴀsɴ'ᴛ ʀᴇᴀʟ"

Cw: Dissociation

__________________________________

Travis sat at the kitchen table, he could feel his father's degrading glare latched onto him, judging his every move. He ate quietly and politely, not wanting to trigger another outburst from Kenneth.

Whenever he was around, Travis had to watch his every breath. One wrong move and he could be slapped on the wrist at best, and that was an understatement.

Every second felt so excruciatingly slow while he was home.

"May I be excused?" Travis asked once he finished.

"You may." Kenneth replied, his voice was eerily deep and calm. Travis hated the noise. He just nodded and stood up, taking his dishes to the sink, Kenneth added his dishes once he finished and left the room.

_____★†★_____

Travis knew this was going to happen again soon. His roots had been growing out, Kenneth always told him it made him look sloppy.

Nevertheless, Travis hated the bleach. He hated how it always turned into a piss yellow, he hated how much it burned, he hated the fact it ruined his hair. Yet, here he was, sitting on the closed toilet as Kenneth mixed the dye.

Yet every time it felt oddly domestic as Kenneth touched up his roots, Travis closed his eyes, pretending that, even if it was just a moment, that the action was out of love. That maybe for once Kenneth gave a shit about him. It was one of the few times he wasn't aggressive or rough.

Kenneth finished applying the dye and took of the clear gloves and threw them away. Travis knew the routine.

He wasn't sure how much time had passed, but it had started to burn his scalp, so he decided it was alright to wash it out.

_____★†★_____

The days always end up blurring together. He spent most of his time up in his room, studying his Bible or writing. The rest of the time he was either sleeping, being scolded and punished by his father, or at a church sermon.

Today it was the latter, he sat in the pew, entirely zoned out. He knew he should be paying attention, but everything was too foggy. It felt unreal, looking around at everybody. Is this the way it's always looked? Is this the way it was supposed to look?

Why was it so dark and foggy? His mind was so clouded he couldn't stand it. It eventually caused his mind to begin racing. What was happening? Why did everything look like this? Maybe he was dreaming? Why does this keep happening?

Soon though, his mind went empty as he stared at his preaching father, though he was picking up anything he was saying. He preferred this over the self awareness.

Travis didn't even notice the sermon ended until someone brushed past his leg making their way out, causing Travis to flinch and come back to reality.

He glared at the person, didn't even give him a fucking sorry. Travis stood up and walked out, constantly being interrupted by the older woman complementing him and attempting to create conversation with him. He held back the urge to tell them to fuck off and forced a smile, only nodding and giving the occasional "mhmm." He wasn't in the mood to have a conversation right now.

He finally got to leave about an hour after the sermon ended, Travis and his father usually cleaned so they stayed late. They both got into the car for another painfully silent ride home. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

656 words

Woo got it out!!

Can you tell I have no idea what I'm doing?/hj

There's going to be a plot I swear

As always, drink water and take any meds you may need

See you on the other side of oblivion