Part 13

The note I left for mama before school this morning was loving, but short lived

The savory smell of breakfast cooking, and joyous laughter coming from downstairs continued.

I felt a tear escape as I scribbled the rest of my thoughts down onto the lined paper.

Journal entry 2.

• • •

I packed some clothes in my backpack.

Some blouses, and jeans with comfortable shoes and a brittle brush which reminded me that I needed to get a new one.

I made sure to add extra undergarments and the few makeup products I owned.

The note stuck on the side of my night stand, a wet stain marking the front and backside of it.

When I walked downstairs mama gave me a peck on the cheek before I left wishing me a good day back at school.

Not knowing this could possibly be the last time I ever saw her.

• • •

Mikey wanted to meet at Betty's diner.

Right as I left the house I took the fastest way to the diner that I could remember.

The morning today was gloomy and dark a big, fat droplet landed on my hand as I speed walked.

I turned a corner and a familiar light up sign filled my vision, "Kimberly!"

A sharp voice shouted as I turned my head, Mikey had his Chevy with the trunk wide open that contained a few bags.

My feet sloshed in some puddles as I ran to throw my arms around his thick neck, peppering kissed all over his cheeks.

When I pulled back, red lipstick littered his beaming face.

"I'm ready, baby"

• • •