That Old Feeling

prompt 79. When I saw you last night and got that old feeling.

--------------------------

Dating in your teens is either a blessing or a curse. You either remember them as the first love who loved you for what you had or the first love who shattered your heart beyond recognition.

For you it was different though. The love you had for each other exceeded what was normal, you were young and dumb, and yet you loved each other more than words could say.

You loved each other so much that when you were apart it felt like your hearts would burst.

So when she took the offer to go to the States on a football scholarship, you could already feel your heart breaking. The thought of you and your love being miles apart tearing a hole in your heart nothing could fill.

But in your heart was also that immense feeling of pride, your love had a scholarship to one of the greatest football schools in the entirety of the U.S. and it just made your heart swell.

After a whole lot of tears in the airport and one last kiss, she was shipped off to college leaving you to take up your studies at home. At first the phone calls were regular, every day of the week she'd call you and tell you about her day while you were trying your hardest to not fall asleep to the calming sound of her voice.

Like with any long distance relationship, the communication between you slowly dwindled until there was nothing but a thought of calling each other left. And just like that, the whirlwind of teen romance was gone, leaving an English RB sized hole in your heart.

And still, you kept up with what she was doing during all your years apart. You watched as she made her senior debut for England, you even watched every City game though not being a City fan.

All the while, you were getting your degree in photography and moving out of England, finding a job at the Frauen Bundesliga club of FC Bayern München.

There you stayed for the next 8 years, snapping pictures of new players and old players alike, players who were going into retirement and players who were just starting out their careers. Yet, you still kept up with the life of the woman you once loved so dearly.

You could still remember that summer, the one when you got that offer from Barcelona Femení to become one of their leading photographers. After a while of thinking and a lot of encouragement from the players who'd become your best friends, you decided to take the job.

So when you 2 years later make eye contact across the room with your first ever love, you cannot help but be surprised at all those old feelings flooding back. The girl you loved when you were a teen, now an even more gorgeous woman, was standing in front of you once again.

She still had the exact same effect on you as she did all those years ago, your heart thumping painfully behind your ribcage and your knees feeling weak.

The same could be said for her, your love, who's eyes softened a tenfold, her hand coming up to scratch at her jaw, the secret signal you'd made as teens to tell the other that you loved them.

You see as she looks at you expectantly, you yourself bringing your hand up to scratch at the same spot on your jaw. The strong woman smiles that beaming smile at you, she understood that you still loved her the same way she loved you.

After years of loving Lucy Bronze from afar, it was time that you finally got to love her properly.