10. CHICKEN BREASTS

I wrote back

I wrote back.

I don't know why I bothered but I wrote back. It's Thursday and I'm doing something I never thought I'd be doing. Yvette's eyes grew extra-large when I told her that I was heading out. I'm at a farmer's market, shopping for chicken breasts. Chicken breasts?

Why someone would enjoy just that suspicious part of the poor creature is something I fail to understand. I hope no one recognizes me: lord knows the press is the last thing I need right now. I don't have my hearing aids on, so I can't hear shit.

Sunlight, so strange yet so warm. I'm missing hell already.

I show them a paper where I wrote 'chicken breasts' in my god awful handwriting and I hand them a chunk of dollars. They look at me like I am some crazed man and their eyes linger on me until they hand me the chicken breasts. They say something, I think, but I don't bother trying to hear them as I make my way out of the place. Did they recognize me? I sure hope not.

I take a sprint back home and I'm unlucky the first time I come out to civilization, because I bump into someone huge. Way too huge, as huge as I am, if I might add. Imagine my surprise when I lift my head up just a little and see a grinning Alex. The first thing he does is look at my ears and a small frown crosses his face. Last I heard he was coaching a kid's hockey team, so what the hell is he doing in my neighborhood?

"You don't have them on." He signs. He learned ASL too? I give him a look that should say 'get the hell out of my face' but the vibrations of his footsteps follow right behind me. If he keeps this up, someone would definitely recognize me.

I might be deaf, but I'm not blind, the streets of Seattle are unusually busy today, or maybe I'm just strange to civilization. I can still feel his footsteps behind me, and knowing Alex, he won't let go even if I scream at him or threaten to harm myself. He's seen way worse in the life he grew up in, so he won't be moved no matter how many times I tell him to fuck off. He'd just have to deal with my silence then.

He follows me into the house as expected. I'm somewhat thankful that Yvette is not home, there will be questions, none of which I'm ready for, none of which I have answers to. I should go to my room, my new room, but Alex would freak out if he saw where I ate, slept and showered. No colors, just black and white, mostly black.

"Showered today?" He signs. Has he been hanging out with Ivy? If so, what has she been telling him about me? I take a moment to sniff my clothes, have I showered today? Well, fuck. I share a look with Alex, who smirks. Fucker. I stand to my feet and I make my way to the bathroom. Not before I sign back a 'fuck you' to him, to which he throws his head back in laugh. Knew he wouldn't be fazed off by me, Dude's seen too much in his lifetime.

It doesn't take a while to get a good shower in. Up until Ivy Martins visited for the first time, I didn't think about getting a good shower. I'd literally just get under the shower just to get some water on my skin and that was it. I know Alex, he won't nag at me for any reason. He no longer plays hockey but teaches it. I may be at a weird point in my life right now, but I can't deny the fact that he seems super happy, especially with a baby on the way. Jodie. How is she? I shake the thought away, she must be pissed at me for kicking her out when she tried to reach out to me.