Three

The dimly lit chamber echoed with the soft rattling of chains as Namira remained bound, unable to break free from the enchanted bonds that held her. The air was thick with tension, and a sense of impending doom hung heavily. The cold stone walls seemed to absorb the warmth, leaving the room frigid and unwelcoming.

Suddenly, a soft and melodic laughter echoed through the chamber, sending shivers down Namira's spine. The atmosphere shifted, and a figure gracefully emerged from the shadows. It was Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty, radiating an aura of both allure and malevolence. Namira was instantly annoyed.

Namira lifted her head, meeting Aphrodite's piercing gaze with defiance. Despite being bound and vulnerable, a spark of determination glinted in her eyes. Aphrodite approached slowly, her every step echoing with a rhythmic grace that seemed to mock Namira's predicament.

"Aphrodite," Namira spoke with a calm that belied the turmoil within and held a tone of mockery, "What brings you to my humble abode?"

Aphrodite's lips curled into a sardonic smile as she circled Namira, surveying her captive with disdain, "Humble abode, indeed. Your schemes have gone too far, Namira."

Namira scoffed, "Schemes? I've done nothing but exist."

Aphrodite halted, her gaze turning venomous, "Exist? You stole Ares from me! You bewitched him with your dark magic and cunning words, claiming him as your own. That's not mere existence; it's thievery!"

Namira's eyes widened in disbelief, but as she opened her mouth to speak, Aphrodite's rant went on, "Ares belongs with me, as decreed by fate. You disrupted the natural order, and for that, you shall suffer."

Namira gritted her teeth, frustration and anger bubbling within her, "This isn't about love; it's about control. You want to keep everything the way it has always been, with you at the centre of it all."

Aphrodite's eyes flashed with fury for a moment before she pretended to be bored with the discussion as she studied her nails, remarking in a singsong voice, "And why shouldn't I be at the centre? I am the goddess of love, the embodiment of beauty and desire" Clearly Aphrodite felt that was all the reason she needed for the world to revolve around her, she pressed on to add insult, "You, Namira, are an interloper, an intruder in a world where you don't belong."

Namira met Aphrodite's gaze with defiance, "I don't seek to dominate, that seems to be your way; I seek to coexist. The pantheons can thrive together, embracing change and unity."

Aphrodite sneered, her voice dripping with scorn, "Unity? You are a threat to everything I hold dear. Without you, the balance will be restored, and Ares will return to my side."

Namira shook her head, " Have you even kept up with Ares? If you had, you'd known it's not me he swore a blood oath to. Your obsession and need to be validated by others blinds you, Aphrodite. The world is evolving and your attempt to cling to the past only hastens your own irrelevance."

Aphrodite, incensed, raised her hand, preparing to unleash her divine wrath upon Namira. The room trembled with the impending blow and Namira braced herself for the onslaught, determined to face whatever consequences awaited her.

"You dare speak against me, Namira? You dare question my right to love and my place in this world?" Aphrodite's voice dripped with venom and her eyes glowed with an unearthly rage.

Before Namira could respond, Aphrodite's hand struck, delivering a powerful blow to Namira's side. Pain exploded through her and she gasped for breath as the force of the impact sent her back into the slab of stone Aphrodite had chained her to.

Aphrodite loomed over Namira, her beauty now a mask for the cruelty within, "You think you can challenge me? You, a mere usurper in the divine order?" With a swift kick, Aphrodite connected with Namira's ribs, sending another wave of agony through her battered body.

Namira, bloodied and bruised and unable to heal, managed to lift herself onto her elbows, defiance still burning in her eyes, "Aphrodite, this won't change anything. They won't let your anger dictate the fate of the pantheons. I won't let you."

Aphrodite scoffed, her disdain evident, "You're nothing, Namira. A pawn in a game you don't understand. You think I care about your feeble attempts at defiance?"

She raised her foot high, ready to deliver another punishing blow.

Namira's words came out strained but resolute, "I won't let you erase me, Aphrodite. I won't let you erase change."

With a swift motion, Aphrodite brought her foot down, the impact resonating through Namira's body. The room seemed to reverberate with the echoes of her pain. Namira lay on the ground, battered and broken, but her spirit refused to yield.

Aphrodite, however, remained unmoved by the sight of her adversary's suffering, "You brought this upon yourself, Namira. You thought you could challenge the divine order and now you will pay the price."

Ignoring Namira's feeble attempts to sit, Aphrodite turned and left her, the air heavy with the scent of blood and the echoes of Namira's pain. The goddess of love and beauty walked away, indifferent to the consequences of her ruthless pursuit of what she perceived as her rightful place in the world while Namira tried to steady herself with a quietly whispered, "It's only blood, bruises and broken bones. You've survived worse."

And yet, Namira felt the worst was yet to come.

TBC...