Eight

The air in the chamber crackled with an otherworldly energy as he invoked the presence of Lethe, the river of forgetfulness. The God of War stood with a sombre determination, his gaze steady as the ethereal mist coalesced into the form of a veiled figure, the embodiment of the river's mystical power.

He'd waited for Freyr to go and visit with Namira.

"Lethe," Ares spoke with a voice that carried the weight of sorrow and purpose, "I beseech you to grant me the solace of forgetfulness, to spare those burdened by recent trauma."

Lethe, her face obscured by a translucent veil, nodded solemnly. In her hands, she held two small bottles, each containing the sacred waters that could wash away the traumatic memories that clung to the minds of Namira and Freyr.

The water shimmered with an otherworldly glow, its surface seemingly untouched by the healing powers of forgetfulness it held within.

Lethe, her features serene, nodded in acknowledgment. From the folds of her misty robes, she produced two small bottles filled with the water from her sacred river. The liquid shimmered like liquid silver, reflecting the solemn atmosphere of the room.

"These waters will erase the recent memories that weigh upon their souls," Lethe explained in a voice as soft as a gentle current, "They will find solace in forgetfulness."

Ares accepted the bottles with a solemn nod, his mind focused on the task ahead. He summoned Thor to his side, who entered the chamber with a furrowed brow, curious about the purpose of their meeting. Ares, with a heavy heart, began to explain his intentions after Ares had invited him to join.

"The recent events have left wounds that run deep," Ares began, his voice resonating with a rare vulnerability, "Lethe offers a chance to relieve Namira and Freyr of the haunting memories that torment them of what Aphrodite put them through, the gruesome images that haunt them. I wish to spare them the burden of recollection, to allow them the freedom to heal without the shackles of the past."

Thor, though sceptical, nodded in understanding, "But Ares, what about your own burden? Will you not seek solace with the waters as well?"

Ares met Thor's gaze, a flicker of conflict in his eyes, "I choose to bear the weight of my guilt, to remember the cost of my failures. Let the Lethe take the gruesome details from them, but not from me. It is a choice I make as a brother, as a guardian, it is my task to remember all of her, to share her story if I must."

Ares turned his attention back to the bottles in his hands, a sense of determination evident in his eyes. He poured the waters into ornate goblets, the liquid gleaming with a surreal luminosity. With each careful movement, he felt the gravity of his decision, the weight of choosing to bear the burden of remembrance alone.

Once the drinks were mixed and prepared, Ares approached Namira and Freyr, who sat side by side, their eyes heavy with grief in Thor's room.

He offered them the goblets without revealing the true nature of the concoction. "A drink to strengthen the soul," Ares said, his words laden with a poignant sincerity.

As Namira and Freyr sipped the drinks, a subtle transformation unfolded. The tension in their shoulders eased, the haunted look in their eyes began to fade. Unbeknownst to them, the traumatic memories slowly dissipated like mist under the morning sun. It left only the necessary knowledge of events, without the horrific details

Ares, observing the change, felt a sense of relief wash over him. The burden he willingly shouldered became tangible as the weight of the recent trauma lifted from Namira and Freyr. They sat there, unaware of the sacrifice made on their behalf.

Thor, standing beside Ares, watched the scene unfold.

A silent understanding passed between the two gods—a shared acknowledgment of sacrifice, protection, and the bonds that tied them together in the face of adversity.

As the room settled into a newfound calm, Ares became the lone keeper of the haunting memories, a silent sentinel standing guard against the shadows that sought to torment his loved ones.

As laughter and conversation filled the room as Freyr and Namira spoke of happier things, the room seemed to bask in the aftermath of Ares's sacrifice and gift.

Thor turned to him with a warmth in his eyes that transcended mere admiration.

"Ares," Thor spoke, his voice carrying a depth of emotion, "your gift to Namira and Freyr does not go unnoticed, they may not be aware of what has been lifted from them, but I know of it. I can't pretend to know the burden you choose to carry alone, but it is a testament of the fact that you are not just the God of War; you are a guardian of hearts, a protector of those you hold dear."

Ares, touched by Thor's words, allowed a rare softness to enter his gaze. Thor's affectionate praise felt like a balm to his weary soul. Thor pulled Ares into a tight embrace, their closeness transcending the confines of their godly forms. Ares, usually reserved in expressing vulnerability, allowed himself to be enveloped by the warmth of Thor's embrace. In that moment, the unspoken language of their hearts conveyed a love that surpassed the struggles and challenges they faced.

"You are not alone in this, Ares," Thor whispered, his breath a comforting reassurance, "You might be alone to remember but together, we shall face whatever shadows may come, and emerge stronger on the other side. You have my shoulder to carry whatever load you need help with."

Ares's gaze held a sense of gratitude and love as he drew back then to look at Thor, wrapping his hand into the blonde's hair to kiss him deeply, "I appreciate the offer."

They both know he wouldn't take it, but the offer built another bridge between them.

Thor's lips curved into a smile as he noted the happiness on the faces of Freyr and Namira, "Thank you."

Ares smiled as well, nodding, "This is as it should be."

It was Namira, who amidst the chatter and laughter suddenly asked, "What about Loki?"

The trickster's fate had yet remained unknown to them.

Thor frowned briefly as he recalled his brother's broken and dying body as he had guided them to the portal Namira was stolen through.

Yes, he supposed it was time to discover the state of his brother. 

TBC...