The Fall of Invincible Boy

And I'm back. I've been on a little bit of a hiatus...hiatus?.....it means that I stopped writing for awile right?

This is just a preview chapter. I'm gonna update it later.

________________________________________________________________________________

It was a good day for Jack. He had been gifted another sports car by his associates, but that mattered little to him. What mattered to him was that he finally had wrestled a day off from his corporate schedule. Now he was relaxing in a metal chair outside a cafe, sipping on a plain latte, across the street from one of the tall skyscrapers that grew towards the clouds. His bald friend sitting across from him was still speaking, but it sounded like he was miles away.

Was Jack high? No. He was had finally achieved "inner peace"...as much at one could get on a sunny day, separated from the loud hustle and bustle of the city streets by just a simple metal fence enclosing off the seating area.

"...and so I told him that we weren't accepting any contracts for jet turbines. But little did he know that we were, but I knew the guy. He was a extremely rude customer back when I was working at John's. I told our reps to disassociate from him, just for an ol' bit of karma. But they misread that and completely cut him off, cancelling even the existing contracts we had with his firm. His higher ups assumed he botched something up and demoted him. A bit more overkill than I intended, but haha, I ain't complaining...Jack?...Jack!?"

"Hmm?"

"You sleepin'?"

"No. Just enjoying the sun. So how are you guys going to get the computer chips if you cancelled all the contracts with his firm?"

"Well, we decided to try our hand at reaching out to Stark Industries, but we didn't even make it to the door to knock. Turn's out the line for that is long, and the sign says "no soliciting".

"Figures. Everyone wants to catch a big fish."

"Is that wrong?"

"No. Just inefficient at times. You should look for people who are also looking for people. Or maybe see what's not getting used and make an offer. I had several cars but only ever drove a few of them. They were just sitting in my garage, collecting dust. So, I decided to give them away."

"You gave them away?"

"Yeah. But I gave them to people who's good impression brought me some benefit. Securing loyalty by sponsorship goes a long way over time. And the other fishes are attracted by the waves from a splash like that. They are mostly just minnows, though, but some bigger fish are attracted by minnows. Especially when they gather. I caught one like that."

"Interesting. I never really put much thought into that. How soon are the returns on the investment?"

"It varies. Sometimes the effects are immediate. But you have to keep doing it every now and then to keep that rep afloat. Nothing big really happens till you catch the eyes of the press. But the smart ones usually have heard of you by then. The fact that you give gifts is just the icing on the cake to them, or maybe the cherry on top. It makes it look pretty, but what really matters is what's underneath all that."

"The ice cream and the sponge cake?"

"Haha. Bingo."

"You said you 'caught a big fish'. Who'd you get?"

Jack sat back up. He smirked, touched his index finger to his nose, and said -

"That's a secret."

His bald friend smirked. He new that sometimes some deals crossed some red tape. It's just the way things work sometimes. But he had a guess of who Jack was talking about.

A couple voices exclaimed as loud tinkling was heard. Some people shifted away from the other side of the street, brushing something from their clothes. Jack's friend turned to look.

"What's that?"

"What?"

Jack also turned to look. He noticed that the stuff people were brushing from their clothes seemed to glitter in the sunlight.

'Was that glass?', he thought,

*BAM!

A loud crash was heard, shortly followed by a couple car alarms and screams. People ran from the source of the noise and only turned to take a second look when they felt they had achieved a safe distance from the disturbance.

This was Chicago. They knew the drill. Some weird stuff happened sometimes.

"Jack, isn't that your car?", Jack's friend said. But Jack's seat was already vacant.

Jack's friend got up and turned to scan the crowd's edge for Jack. When he realized that Jack wasn't there, he turned to look back at the car.

Jack was standing about 12 feet from his car, observing the still intact but limp figure of a person that had flattened his sports car to half its height.

Jack's friend rushed over.

"What happened?!"

"Someone fell on my car."

"What!?!"

A dripping was heard as they got closer, followed by the strong smell of gasoline.

"Hey Jack, I think maybe we should back up a bit." Jack's friend said, as he pulled Jack away from the scene.

All of the sudden, the sports car burst into flames. The crowd exclaimed as Jack and his friend went to join them. They stood there for a few moments, watching the sports car burn as the smell filled the air. Smoke, gasoline, and whatever the heck a burning car smells like.

The figure on the car slowly got up, standing on the burning wreckage of the sports car. Flames engulfed him and seemed to crawl eerily all over his clothes. But that wasn't the spooky part. The scary part was when the flames parted for a sec, revealing the face of the immortal being.

The face of a skull.

A shrill girly scream pierced the air as the crowd panicked and began to run farther away.

Another person with a parachute floated gracefully down onto the concrete. They had a normal face with a mask on, with a pink and white outfit, a mask, no pants, and carrying an Uzi in one hand.

She unclipped her parachute from her back and turned to face a person who had fallen to the ground trying to flee.

"Hi Jack!", she said while cheerfully waving the Uzi.

Jack screamed again and ran away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~