1. The Water Born Princess

Kampilya,  Southern Panchal

The chants of auspicious hymns and Vedic mantras filled the air of Kampilya. Dressed in a simple white dhoti with minimal gold jewelry, Drupad partook in a ritual to beget a daughter on the banks of Bhagirathi. A rather strange dream it was. Instead of feeling humiliated for being defeated by a few young warriors, his heart craved peace in this world, something he believed a daughter could give—a daughter who may bring wealth and prosperity along with her. A daughter who may restore peace in the land of Panchal and maybe one day find herself a husband among one of the valiant Pandava, a secret wish it was.

He stared at the flowing waters of Ganga as the priests and other holy men recited the mantras, as the royal family of Panchal beamed in excitement about the arrival of their youngest princess. The wind picked up its speed, announcing the arrival of the youngest daughter of Panchal. The water currents of Bhagirathi were fiercer, the sun dimmed his rays, the clouds covered the sky, and the sky thundered to announce Indra's arrival, who was eager to witness the birth of Shivanya, his wife's Sachi incarnation. The fire from the yagna rose high to form a ball and placed itself on the waters of Ganga. One by one, the five elements of the earth came together to sculpt the figure of a woman who radiated a shine like that of the divine. She smelled like of roses, delicate yet strong.

The woman was petite in structure, her doe-like eyes curiously looking around her surroundings. Her wavy jet-black tresses were flowing along with the wind. Dressed in a pure white anarkali accessorized with silver jhumkas and a red bindi on her forehead, she looked no less than a goddess, as the various beings of mother nature seemed to radiate in the happiness and joy of her arrival.

"Blessed you are Maharaj Drupad, your daughter has finally arrived in this mortal realm, " the priest declared as the yagna concluded, with the woman walking to the banks of the river. " Be blessed, oh king. This girl, born on the auspicious day of Akshaya Tritiya, in the month of Vaishakha from the eternal mother Ganga, is your daughter. The youngest princess of Panchal has finally arrived," he further announced to all present, as cheers and congratulatory messages filled the air.

"Where am I?" The newborn princess muttered to herself. The positive aura of the place made her feel peaceful and at home, yet she was curious about how she landed there. Mysterious ways of Kanha, she thought about the playful god, who was dearer than life.

"Come on now, Maharaj. Meet your daughter and name her." Renuka, Drupad's principal wife, prompted her husband as the man looked at his curious daughter, who stood by the banks of the Ganga and discerned the people around. She may look like an adult, but she was a child at heart. She held curiosity and wanted to explore the world.

"Yes, go ahead, son. Looks like she's already Pita's daughter," Drupad's father joked as he saw the damsel looking at Drupad keenly.

"She has to be Pitamaha," Satyajit chuckled at the joke of his grandfather while receiving a few eye-rolls from his family and close friends.

"Finally, someone younger than me. I'm no longer the only baby of the family," Dhrishtadyumna, the fire-born son of Drupad, said with a bright and excited smile etched on his face, reflecting the excitement of having a little sister.

"Go now, instead of simply looking at her, Aryaputra. A daughter treasures her father the most and makes the best impression on her for you would be the man who would make it or break it for her." Renuka nudged her husband as Drupad nodded softly and walked towards his youngest.

The King of Panchal took small steps toward his daughter, nervous yet excited to meet her. The young woman's nervousness and curiosity about the familiar yet unfamiliar place made her notice Drupad approaching her and sighed in relief. Finally, someone was there.