𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝟏𝟏𝟏

Evelia tried to answer as calmly as possible.

"I heard that my husband's sister and the prince were close friends. Maybe that's why it's like that?"

"Is that so? That might be possible."

Clarisse, who was waving a fan, gave me a quick greeting and left the terrace. No, she was going to leave.

She came back and whispered in Evelia's ear.

"But is there any reason for Lionel to come and look for that child now?"

"Yes?"

"It was nice to meet you. Then I'll invite you to tea time sometime soon."

Clarisse smiled and actually left the terrace. Evelia clenched her fists as she watched her back.

A stranger might think that Clarisse was just talking about trivial things, but she didn't see it that way. This was some kind of warning.

A warning that if Lionel and Ruth become close, she will not leave Ruth alone.

'If I don't let Ruth get close to Lionel right now, will she leave him alone?'

It won't happen. It was Clarisse who was targeting Ruth even when Lionel was unaware of his existence.

Even if Evelia quietly returned to the Empire with Ruth, she would not give up on Ruth.

'I need to contact Samuel first....'

Feeling anxious, I quickly left the terrace. Due to the wind, I didn't realize there was someone standing in front of the terrace and ended up crashing into it.

"Oh, I'm sorry..."

"Wife."

It was a familiar voice. Evelia unconsciously relaxed her tense body and looked up.

"Cassis."

He asked, gently squeezing her shoulder.

"What did the Queen say?"

"She didn't say anything. She just talked about Ruth."

That alone would have been a sufficient explanation. Cassis' face hardened slightly.

"The Queen...."

"I miss Ruth."

Evelia held Cassis' hand and whispered quietly.

Lionel would be by his side so nothing would happen, but I still wanted to make sure the child was safe.

Cassis obediently took her hand.

"Yes. Let's go back now."

The two left the party, receiving attention from people. They didn't know that among those gazes were Clarisse's.

*****

"You're here."

Lionel, who had been guarding the sleeping Ruth, got up from his chair.

"Did anything special happen?"

"I heard the Queen mentioned Ruth."

Cassis spoke instead of Evelia. Lionel's face hardened.

"Ruth?"

"Yes."

"Okay, I understand."

Lionel nodded and left the room. Evelia went to the dressing room and changed clothes with the help of a maid.

When I returned to the bed where Ruth was sleeping, I saw Cassis, who had also changed his clothes, come first.

"Shall we sleep together today?"